a problem with undefined references

2002-09-17
2002-09-17
  • Jonathan Tan

Jonathan Tan - 2002-09-17

when i try to run vim, i get this error:
    dyld: vim Undefined symbols:
    vim undefined reference to _BC expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    vim undefined reference to _PC expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    vim undefined reference to _UP expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    vim undefined reference to _ospeed expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    Trace/BPT trap

then i just get the command prompt again.

when i try to run civserver, i get:
    bash-2.05a$ civserver
    This is the server for Freeciv version 1.12.0
    You can learn a lot about Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org/
    2: Now accepting new client connections.

For introductory help, type 'help'.
    dyld: civserver Undefined symbols:
    /sw/lib/libreadline.4.2.dylib undefined reference to _tgetent expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    Trace/BPT trap

and then again, it drops me back out to the command prompt.

and off the top of my head, i remember at least 2 other programs doing this to me.
    just can't rememebr what they are now...

i don't know what the error actually is, or what it is doing.
    i installed both programs using fink.

and of course, another thing, is whether i really be posting this here, or whether i should go somewhere else...?

oh, i'm trying to run those programs on XDarwin, on a mac running jaguar, and i've installed the jaguar xterm update.

thanks. =D
    jon

ps: sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place... please point me in the correct direction? thanks. =)

• Martin Costabel

Martin Costabel - 2002-09-17

> vim undefined reference to _BC
      > expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

These are typical problems that you get in Jaguar when you try to run programs compiled under earlier versions of MacOSX. Either recompile them or get somone else to recompile them for you.

For fink-related problems, you should go to the fink mailing lists at http://fink.sf.net (and before writing, have a look at the archives, they are searchable and will contain hints about your problem).