MouseWorks and XDarwin

2002-02-09
2002-04-17
  • Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-09

I have a four button mouse.

With previous versions of both MouseWorks and XDarwin I could use my second and third mouse button correctly. This is no longer the case.

Does anybody have any suggestion what the problem is? I suspect the problem is with XDarwin, not MouseWorks.

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2002-02-09

What versions of XDarwin and MouseWorks do you have?

The "middle click" setting in MouseWorks 1.1 (from November) appears not to send any middle button events to Cocoa apps; the bug is unfixable from XDarwin. "Right click" works. It doesn't look like Kensington's driver has changed since November, unless they updated the download but not the download page.

Have you tried USB Overdrive? It drives my Kensington mouse perfectly, including the middle button. Have you tried using no mouse driver? Apple's built-in driver also works with XDarwin.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-09

Well last time MouseWorks and XDarwin were cooperating (back with OS X 10.0) I didn't have to set a middle-click. I was unaware of any middle-click setting.

Is XDarwin using HID? Games and such should use HID to bypass MouseWorks entirely. Last time I was using both together and it was working, the middle click was a click-and-hold (drag) and behaved as such in Applications other than games and XDarwin (it behaved correctly).

I use an ADB mouse so I don't think USB Overdrive is going to help me.

Damn. I don't suppose anybody knows what was changed since 10.0 in XDarwin which could be the culprit.

• Patrik Montgomery

The OS has support for some 65000 mousebuttons in the default driver. XDarwin's middlebutton is simply button number 3 from the OS. Without a driver, a USB mouse sends buttons 1-2-3 and so forth directly. To most people, it's not useful to send anything else than buttons 1 and 2 (left and right), so most drivers intercept button 3 and send something else, like option-button 1 or simply nothing (default setting in USB Overdrive). If you set the Mouseworks driver to send middleclick on your middle button, everything shoudl work (this is how it's done in USB Overdrive). Using the HID isn't necessarily a good thing - e.g. a lefthanded user might flip the left and right buttons in the driver and expect XDarwin to honor that, or make the thumb-button work as middle-click to reserve the wheel for something else (ie make clicked wheel down and up mean something special)

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-11

It used to work as I have it setup right now. The current situation does_not_work. There is no middle-click setting, nor was there ever one. Furthermore if there was one I wouldn't set it since I use the 3rd button for other things.

I don't see how your comments about HID are relevant. We shouldn't use HID because people will expect more features? huh?

Maybe I can find a copy of XDarwin 0.6 rootless, if anybody still has a copy.

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2002-02-11

Have you tried uninstalling the MouseWorks driver? My mouse works in XDarwin with Apple's driver only.

XDarwin's mouse handling may have changed since 0.6 rootless - it currently uses Cocoa for all event handling, and may have previously used Carbon for mouse events. The Kensington mouse driver appears to have problems with Cocoa apps. Try uninstalling it and using the Apple driver instead, if you can.

I think Patrik was saying that using HID will bypass the user's preferences for the mouse. HID is also much more complicated than XDarwin needs right now.

• Patrik Montgomery

Yes, that was what I meant. It's very common for a left-handed user to flip the buttons on a two-button mouse, and we'd need a complete mouse configuration interface if we bypassed that via HID.

Paul, can you in Mouseworks configure the third button to send option-click, control-click or command-click? If so, just enable multi-button mouse emulation in XDarwin and you're done.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-14

I do not in any way consider that 'done'. One of the reasons I want this to work is to avoid having to have the option key pressed (manually or emulated) because that interferes with many stupid X11 gesture clicks.

This was NOT a problem previously IIRC.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-14

HID is about as simple as possible.

Considering Apple ADB mice don't have three buttons I don't see how removing Mouseworks will help. Even if it did I still want my custom clicks for non-X11 apps.

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2002-02-14

Look, removing MouseWorks is not supposed to be a solution, it's supposed to be a test. Remove the driver, see if anything changes, then reinstall the driver.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-15

I think the new version of Mouseworks may be the problem now. For some reason the third and fourth buttons aren't registering in the game Alice. I'll see if I can contact Kensington.

• Patrik Montgomery

FFR: There is a new version of Mouseworks ut that claims to solve problems with middle-click:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=10374&db=macosx

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-04-11

So they claim, but unforutnately you have to explicitly set a button to middle-click.

IIRC in the 10.0 version of MouseWorks XDarwin and games would register 3rd and 4th button clicks instead of the emulated double 1st button clicks and so on. I've tested this latest version with Alice (Quake-like game) and the problem persists, and I'm not going to set one of my buttons as a middle click just for X11 apps.

• Patrik Montgomery

There is a new version out that adds the ability to set different options for different apps. Too bad Logitech's new doesn't do that.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-04-17

It's still not as good as MacOS. The difference is in MacOS the button modifications were done at a higher level and in OS X they do it at the lowest level, HID.

Anyway we'll see how things progress.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-15

It appears I'm not the only one with this problem. Tons of TurboMouse 5 users on versiontracker report the same problem. Reverting to the previous version is supposed to fix it, but I don't have a copy |-(

Until Metrowerks responds I'll drop the issue.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks