Tk Programs Crash On Mouse Movement

Sean Schur
2002-02-03
2002-02-09
  • Sean Schur

Sean Schur - 2002-02-03

I would like to be able to use TK (PerlTk actually) on OSX. I'm using Xfree86 4.2.0. I've installed Tk800.023. The compile when fine and tests all checked out with no errors (under 'make test'). However, when I run software (including the demos) most will crash with a "bus error" simply when I move the mouse. For more detailed information, here is a list of the Tk demos that I've run and the results:

These work with no problems:

timer
    hello
    dialog
    xeyes

These crash on mouse movement:

ixset (prints out the following error on crash;
            Xlib: extension "Xfree86-Misc" missing on
            display ":0.0:".
    rmt (fine with mouse movement until the mouse
            moves over "File" menu)

These crash on mouse click:

widget
    browse
    color_editor (initial window fine, choosing "Color
         Editor" brings up window and crashes)
    composite (inital windowfine, can click all
         options, choosing text area crashes)
    rolodex (crashes when mouse moves over "File" menu
         or when trying to select or type in a text
         field. However, clicking buttons works fine)
    tom (button operates properly, choosing text
         fields crashes)

Any help would be appreciated.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2002-02-06

>ixset (prints out the following error on crash;
      Xlib: extension "Xfree86-Misc" missing on
      display ":0.0:".

This is true. XDarwin doesn't support the XFree86-Misc extension.

Perhaps someone else has more experience with Tk on XDarwin, but as for the other crashes it may be:

-They are relying on some extension such as XFree86-Misc that XDarwin doesn't provide
      -A problem in how they were built
      -A bug in XDarwin

The best way to look into this is to debug the ones that crash. You can also try turning on crash logging in the Console utility and see if you can get any clues from their crash log. If you find a case that demonstrates a problem with XDarwin or XFree86 be sure to post it here.

• Patrik Montgomery

Not entirely related, but there is a native (Aqua) Mac OS X port of Tk at

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894

Have you tried that one?

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-08

One major advantage of using X11 for Tk is you can more easily tell the difference between Tk apps and mac apps. Even if you use OroborOSX, there is a non-Aqua scheme for that.

• Patrik Montgomery

There are more fundamental reasons why one would want to use Tk on X11 (for one thing, the only Aqua version is an alpha of Tk) but it's certainly better than nothing since Xfree86-Misc isn't supported.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2002-02-09

I doubt the lack of the XFree86-Misc extension is a serious problem. This is an XFree86 specific extension with fairly limited utility that is not part of any X.org standard. The occasional program will depend on it, but I would be very suprised if Tk in general required it. Except for the one sample program that explicitly failed on this extension, you probably have another problem. Debugging or posting the crash logs here are the best way to figure out what it is.