Does GTK+ or Xaw work with XDarwin

Dark Ryder
2001-08-14
2001-08-15
  • Dark Ryder

Dark Ryder - 2001-08-14

Has anyone gotten GTK+ or Xaw working with XDarwin1.0a1?  (The point being, of course, to try to get FreeCiv running ;)

I've been trying to get GTK compiled, but can't seem to hit on the right configuration.  Using "--host=powerpc-apple-darwin1.3.7" gets "unknow host" errors, while "--host=powerpc-apple-mach3" causes compile errors halfway through.

Has anyone gotten this working?

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2001-08-14

I've had FreeCiv for quite a while, courtesy of GNU-Darwin. http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/ . Go to Packages, then games.

I've spent many hours playing FreeCiv. I was, uh, "stress-testing" rootless mode. Yeah.

Some packages that say "unknown host" work if you replace their config.guess files (or maybe something else, I don't remember) with one from some other package with newer configure files that  include knowledge of Darwin.

• Patrik Montgomery

While I haven't tried Freeciv, I can assure you that GTK+ works. I think I compiled it with either ppc-darwin, ppc-next or just ppc. Or there is of course binary packages of it around, both GNU-Darwin and darwinfo.org have such.

Those configure files are generated with autoconf, and you can sometimes regenerate those files with a newer version of autoconf. Apple includes one with the Developer Tools installation. If there is a configure.in file in the package, you can make a new configure file by just typing "autoconf" in the source directory.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks