finally got 1.0a2 to work

2001-09-29
2001-09-30
  • Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-09-29

I had to use startx, and .xinitrc apparently needs an item, the last one without an "&".

Multiple monitors appears to work well which is great, but resizing wmaker windows is still better in XDarwin 0.5 rootless. Still lacks SHAPES support too.

1.0a1 was easier to launch, just double-click the app and no xinit configuration stuff necessary.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-09-29

Anybody know how to get wmaker to stop placing windows in negative coordinates? I set the "Placement Origin" to over 1024 and it's still putting them in my left non-primary monitor. Even if I set it to the max (1024+1280=2304) it stll places them there. The only solution thus far has been to use 'manual' which I don't like.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-09-29

The limit of the width is 768 exactly, which is the hieght of the left monitor. How odd.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-09-29

Somebody on #windowmaker told me it's an arcane limit imposed by X11. I can probably bypass this by initing a window then moving it. I'll look into hacking wmaker source.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-09-30

The windowshade animation in XDarwin 1.0a2 isn't smooth like on XDarwin 0.5 rootless for some reason.

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2001-09-30

I assume you're talking about WindowMaker's window shade. Window resizing on XDarwin > 0.5 is slower and uglier but has at least two crashing bugs fixed.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks