XFree86 4.1 with XDarwin1.1 -why XFree86 4.2?

Adrian
2002-01-30
2002-01-30
  • Adrian

Adrian - 2002-01-30

I've been using XDarwin 1.1 with XFree86 4.1 now for a while. (I did not run through the installer, but just grabbed the newer XDarwin.app from Xquartz.tgz.)

Are there any *really* compelling reasons to upgrade the rest of XFree?
    (I've seen the release notes, and nothing particularly jumps out at me...)

I know I had to wait a while before I could download 4.2, and I think it may have been useful for me to try out XDarwin 1.1 a.s.a.p. -but there was no way I could see of getting just the XDarwin.app update (except the Xquartz.tgz at the XFree86 site).

On a related note, might it be worth having the ability for the snazzy new installer :-) to contain nothing but itself to start with (so it is a very small download).

Then after the user has chosen which components to install, have it dowload those as it goes along (it may be sensible to have a couple of mirror sites for it to try if it can't get through on the first one) -rather like the Quicktime installer.
    [I wonder how easy it would be to "tap into" Apple's 'Software Update'...?]

Just rambling thoughts...

Adrian

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2002-01-30

>Are there any *really* compelling reasons to upgrade the rest of XFree?

There are a variety of improvements, but whether they are compelling or not is up to you. In particular there are now GLX libraries and clients, Xlocale support (no more annoying "locale not supported by C library" messages), new and improved X clients (xedit in particular has seen lots of changes), new versions of many libraries, etc.

However, a big reason to update is simply for compatibility. There are complicated interdependencies between X clients, the X server, X libraries, and the confirguration files. Getting out of date in some area puts you out in an untested arena where you may run into problems that don't really need to be solved. If you are building X clients for others to use, this is even more true. I had actually planned for the future XDarwin installers to require that XFree86 4.2.0 is installed to make our troubleshooting. We have enough trouble duplicating problems to throw in different libraries and clients into the mix.

>On a related note, might it be worth having the ability for the snazzy new installer :-) to contain nothing but itself to start with (so it is a very small download).

That is an interesting idea. Future pre-release updates should be small since they will just contain XDarwin and a few support files. For full releases, it would be nice to let users not have to download optional components that they don't want to install.

>[I wonder how easy it would be to "tap into" Apple's 'Software Update'...?]

Very hard, but it is possible to do something very similar to this using Zero G's PowerUpdate.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks