xinerama problem

2001-11-12
2001-11-14
  • Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-11-12

I have two monitors set to different resolutions, however the X11 screen is one large rectangle. The result is stuff gets lost in the corner that isn't visible. Does anybody know a work-around?

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2001-11-12

This is a general problem with Xinerama. Make sure your window manager is Xinerama-aware; it should rearrange windows that are outside the real screen space.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-11-12

The only window manager which people have claimed solves this is enlightenment, however I can't configure E with the damned menu bar in the way and I can't run XDarwin in full screen mode or get rid of the menu bar in rootless. command-option-a does nothing and the "Switch Panel" does nothing.

Does anybody else use xinerama on these forums?

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2001-11-12

> however I can't configure E with the damned menu bar in the way

Just to be clear, the menu bar is no longer in the way of anything. There is nothing underneath it. Non-xinerama aware window managers may have problems so that they try to put something underneath the menubar, or above the menubar off the screen or many other places that aren't valid places to draw, but the X server clips all these requests and only draws on the physical screen. As far the X server is concerned, the menu bar is not part of the physical screen.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-11-13

It seems ALL window managers are putting stuff in that hole (which supposedly is a hole, who knows?). Supposedly enlightenmnent is xinerama aware, but it's behaving just like the others.

• Adrian

Adrian - 2001-11-12

As far as I can see, oroborus should also work pretty well with Xinerama (OroborOSX uses the same code for its Xinerama 'awareness').

There are a few issues with the way that XDarwin sets up its rectangle under some monitor configurations (eg, if the top of the rightmost monitor is higher than the leftmost, then parts of the right xinerama screen will have negative 'y' values -this confuses some clients and window managers, causing strange effects with 'floating' menus, as well as regions that the cursor cannot enter straight away...)

I'm still waiting for someone to send me a nice new shiny TiBook so I can test out and work around all these problems for OroborOSX...  ;-)

(Hey, Torrey, Greg et al... any chance of a fix so that XDarwin never creates any 'negative regions' like this?)

Adrian

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2001-11-12

>(Hey, Torrey, Greg et al... any chance of a fix so that XDarwin never creates any 'negative regions' like this?)

Sure there's a chance. :-) Actually the negative-y value region issue was deliberate choice. If you have unequal sized monitors you have two evils you can choose between:

1. Point (0,0) is not on any monitor.
        OR
        2. You allow -y valued regions.

We decided to make is so that point (0, 0) was always on screen to allow some utility with stupid window managers. We could revisit this decision. Perhaps this wasn't the best choice and we should just insist that people who use Xinerama use Xinerama-aware window managers. In any case, Greg is more tuned in to what the issues are here.

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2001-11-12

OR
          3. arrange your monitors so one of them is above and to the left of all the rest.

I tried putting (0,0) off of all screens a while ago. Something inside the X server didn't like it. Right now, negative-y works much better, though it's not perfect.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-11-13

Is there an option I can use so the left monitor is -y?

• Adrian

Adrian - 2001-11-13

It's a real pity nobody has sent me that TiBook yet... there's so many things I want to test out for XDarwin and Xinerama and Xinerama-'awareness'...  ;-)

Here's an interesting thought:

What happens if you place a secondary screen directly above your main screen -i.e. so the menu bar is *between* the screens?
            (OK, OK, I know it's a bit silly -it's just a thought experiment -and I'm curious...)

How does XDarwin arrange the screens?

Does it have a 'gap' where the menu bar is in rootless mode?

How does it draw windows that span the two screens (crossing the menubar) where X11 thinks it is continuous, but in 'real' OSX co-ordinates there's a gap!!

Anyone want to try it and let us (me?) know...?

Adrian

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2001-11-13

Mac OS X won't let you do that.

• Patrik Montgomery

You mean it won't let you arrange screens vertically? 10.0.x wouldn't let you, but 10.1.x should. I only have mirroring, so I can't check, but it's supposed to work that way.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-11-14

If I ever find a xinerama-aware window manager I'll be happy to test those arrangements.

• Adrian

Adrian - 2001-11-14

OroborOSX *should* be xinerama-aware. (I just wish I could test this myself...)

Since it uses the xinerama code from oroborus (v1.14.0), that should be too...

Anyway, there's no need for xinerama-awareness for this test -I was just wondering what happens when X11 draws into windows that cross the menubar, what happens when dragging X11 windows across this 'gap', what happens when resizing across this 'gap' (esp. with live updates...)?

(Does OS X really not let you set up the screens like this? -Did Classic Mac OS? -I'll try that out on my PB1400 when I get home...)

Bye!

Adrian

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2001-11-13

I think I would prefer -x coordinates because wmaker (and every other window manager I've tried) is being so stupid not allowing any windows to be spawned +750. Also wine (which I run remotely) is behaving odd and puts stuff in the hole(s).