Can Xdarwin display 8-bit color rootless?

Jonathan
2001-10-17
2001-10-17
  • Jonathan

Jonathan - 2001-10-17

Hi All.

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if this question has been addressed already.

I am using X windows on my PowerBook to ssh into my school's UNIX system and run some apps remotely. Problem is, some of the apps require that my X windows session is set to 8-bit color depth. I can do this just fine when I'm going fullscreen using the -depth 8 tag at the end of the startx command like so:

startx -- -fullscreen -depth 8

What I would really love to be able to do, though, is run my 8-bit color X apps rootless, alongside my OSX apps. It would just really save a lot of time and cmd-opt-a keystrokes!

Is this possible with Xdarwin? Also, if I have to go fullscreen, is there a way to change the color depth from within an X window session or do I have to do it when I first start it up?

Don't know if it matters, but I'm running Xdarwin 1.0a3 with WindowMaker.

Thanks!

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2001-10-17

There is currently no way to use 8-bit color in rootless mode. This is a potential feature for XFree86 4.3.

There is no way to change the color bit depth of X11 once you have started the X server. You need to set it before you start. (This will be easier to do in the next binary update.)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks