mozilla with ssl - corrupted images in X

philipp
2002-02-27
2002-03-06
  • philipp

philipp - 2002-02-27

I made a port of mozilla 0.9.8 for XDarwin. but as soon as I enable ssl, go to a page which has a submit button or to a secure url, all images get messed up on this and all later pages. I first thought there is a problem in my build, but If I use my second mac running MacX as the host for the display, no problems occur.

Still its likely, my build has a problem, but currently I have no Idea where to search.
    So I first like to find out whats the difference for a program if it is displayed on a different X-Server to understand why the corruption does not occur on the remote X-Server.

Thanks for you comments.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2002-02-28

>I made a port of mozilla 0.9.8 for XDarwin.

Cool. I'm not sure if this has been done before. I would encourage you to publish your changes and to push your patches upstream to the mozilla maintainers.

>but as soon as I enable ssl, go to a page which has a submit button or to a secure url, all images get messed up on this and all later pages. I first thought there is a problem in my build, but If I use my second mac running MacX as the host for the display, no problems occur.

Have you tried turning off the MIT-SHM extension in mozilla? System V shared memory doesn't really work in Darwin and this can cause symptoms like you observe. (Actually it works, but it has very low system wide limits on the number of shared memory segments, which make it almost unusable.)

• philipp

philipp - 2002-02-28

if you want to try out the build (with the problem described above), download from: http://homepage.mac.com/nobodyloopback/FileSharing1.html

your suggestion looks quite interesting, I just started a new make. I will let you know whats happening.

To submit the sources I also have to clean up and make correct defines, so that a Darwin/Carbon build is still possible. Currently its the same as the offical Darwin/Carbon but with my changes.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-28

Wow, that's wicked fast!

I'm sure the OS X Carbon version would be fast too if it would use Carbon events instead of polling with the event manager.

The only problems I've had thus far are known XDarwin problems like resizing windows and the slowness of dragging large rectangular windows.

• Paul Bayley

Paul Bayley - 2002-02-28

Dude, this has been tried by a number of people who have failed. Perhaps you have succeeded because of the new developer tools which have better C++ support?

At any rate you should definitely publish this on a distribution like fink!

• Martin Costabel

Martin Costabel - 2002-03-01

Fink already has a mozilla-0.9.18 package by Masanori Sekino.

• philipp

philipp - 2002-03-01

A new build is not neccessary, just add --no-xshm to the startup-options:
      ./mozilla -selectprofile --no-xshm

(It maybe reduces the speed a litte ?). But therefore you have a universal browser, email-client, html Editor for Darwin.

• Nicholas Riley

Nicholas Riley - 2002-03-01

If you get this message:

dyld: ./mozilla-bin can't open library: /sw/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.dylib  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

then try setting DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH to the location of libgtk.  Is there a better way to do this where the library is just located by name? I couldn't understand from the dyld man page

• philipp

philipp - 2002-03-06

- the startup problems are gone, so running /usr/local/mozilla --no-xshm should work (at least it does on my macintosh)

- if you have your gtk libraries somewhere else than in /sw/lib, make a symbolic link from the actual library to the mozilla directory.

happy surfing.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks