Incomplete directory disappears on "transfers

2003-05-04
2003-05-14
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I browsed through the whole forum hoping to find answers to this problem.

I am using xnap v.2.5 - pre 1 on a iMAC G4 OSX v.10.2.5

Today I closed xnap, rebooted, and all my transfers had disappeared from the xnap "transfer" window.
    The incomplete directory is still on my disk, where it's always been, but strangely xnap doesn't address it anymore.
    A message came up on reboot alerting me that my repository had changed and telling me to answer yes if I wanted to keep the incomplete directory, and if I answered no i would have lost everything.
    Xnap had also lost all my settings ,and I had to reconfigure as if I was using the program for the first time.

how can I recover my "incomplete" directory of various gigabytes, and make it reappear in my "transfers" window  ?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Why is nobody answering this query ? Is it something that nobody ever encountered ? Nobody EVER lost the xnap pointer to the incomplete directory ? nobody knows how to eventually recover the incomplete directory  ?

This means I have to give up my 500 Mb partial downloads and start from scratch ?

Using the "recover from" option in the search screen makes the incomplete file disappear forever so I'm not doing that anymore !

Someone please give me your 2 cents !!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Why is nobody answering this query ? Is it something that nobody ever encountered ? Nobody EVER lost the xnap pointer to the incomplete directory ? nobody knows how to eventually recover the incomplete directory  ?

This means I have to give up my 500 Mb partial downloads and start from scratch ?

Using the "recover from" option in the search screen makes the incomplete file disappear forever so I'm not doing that anymore !

Someone please give me your 2 cents !!

• Yven Johannes Leist

> nobody knows how to eventually recover the
        > incomplete directory ?

The problem is that there no way to recover/import your data apart from using the "Resume From" functionality, which as you said seems not to work on Mac OS X.
        Unfortunately XNap is blindingly stupid if something concerning your incomplete folder changes and this needs to be fixed, still, it would be great if someone (you?) would be willing to do a bit of testing concerning the "Resume From" stuff, such as checking whether it really never works or whether there are situations were it does and others where it doesn't etc.
        I'd recommend that you simply backup your current incomplete folder so that you do not loose the data, maybe we can fix the "Resume From" stuff on Mac OS X or implement some sort of "Import" function which you could then use later on.

If there's anyone who has more experience with this, please speak up!

Cheers,
        Yven

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for the answer Yven.

I am willing to try every possible combination to see if the "resume from" works in certain conditions, and I'll be doing the testing during next weekend. But I can't get into the technical discussion about the coding or the conditions that would allow xnap to "remember" it's files (clearly this is a real-time TP/DB issue) because I simply don't have the competence.

But i'll test it in every possible way, including older versions.

• zappalives

zappalives - 2003-05-14

OK, so I did a little testing as suggested by Yven, and it looks like we have a winner !

This is how it worked every time I tried it (5 times until now) on my Imac G4 800Mhz OSX 10.2.5 with xnap 2.5 pre 2.
      Any other way will see your "incomplete" file either disappear completely, or sit there in your directory without ever being resumed.

First, your "busted" incomplete directory must be deleted and the contents moved into another directory. Then restart xnap, you will have a NEW empty "incomplete" directory.
      Move the incomplete files from your backup directory into the "new " incomplete directory.
      Now this is going to seem a little nonsensical, but I would advise to download a few files in order to populate the incomplete directory a little. Not doing so resulted in the loss of the "resumed" files in one of the tests I made.
      Next step is to search for the file you want to recover (of course it has to be that exact same file, same name, same dimension...), right click on the file name, choose "resume from...", and your file should now be part of your queued files, three out of five of the files i resumed are now downloading with no problem . If this doesn't work for you, you may want to try to open and close xnap before and after you have moved your files from your temporary directory to the new incomplete xnap directory before you decide to give up.

On a completely different subject I just recently discovered that the continuous freezing of my xnap was due to the icon of the modem diagnostics of my Alcatel manta modem. Getting rid of the diagnostic icon in the task bar solved it.

Long live xnap !

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks