Menu

What are the limits?

Help
2015-07-08
2016-04-12
  • Andrey Gorbatov

Andrey Gorbatov - 2015-07-08

Hello!
    What is the maximum quantity of rows and columns?
    What is the maximum length for cell content? I tried to write 20000 symbols into cell and it shows "Length is too long!" after export.
    Thanks.

• David Hoerl

David Hoerl - 2015-07-08

Max size 64000 rows, and 256 columns per sheet. We've had users create massively sized workbooks with lots of sheets and large cells per sheet, but don't have hard limits. In some sense its related to how much memory your OS will give your app, since everything is in memory prior to saving the workbook (memory released on close of workbook).

Not sure what you mean by symbols per cell. If you mean characters in strings, the software will fail if a string is longer than around 2K or so. It use to fail around 255 characters, but a company funded us to increase it to 2K (this involved created a shared string table, not a trivial exercise.)

The length could be made longer - not sure of theoretical limit - by introducing "separators" into the saved file - but again, this is not a trivial feature.

• zxjlbf

zxjlbf - 2016-04-12

Why the max size is not 65536?

Last edit: zxjlbf 2016-04-12
      • David Hoerl

David Hoerl - 2016-04-12

I just rounded it off. The library has been tested at a full 256 columns and 0x10000 rows. In fact if you have the memory you can make many sheets with of this size - I recall the largest one anyone told me about was about a million cells.

• Andrey Gorbatov

Andrey Gorbatov - 2015-07-08

Thanks for such a full answer.