Menu

XFLR Crashes

2007-04-08
2012-09-26
  • RetiredGeek

RetiredGeek - 2007-04-08

Hi,
    the last 2 versions of XFLR have been crashing all my projects, so I'm forced to continue on with V308. I can read in a project, redo the VLM mesh, go thru and resave all the plr files (just incase the format is slighly different), save the wpa file to a new file name, but upon trying to run it, it crashes every time. Just opening and then exiting after loading either an old or new wpa file crashes the program......anyone have any idea's?

If the guys writing the code want a copy of one of my wpa files thats giving me problems, drop me a note at retiredgeek@hotmail.com

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2007-04-12

Richard,

The crash issue with your model was related to the number of wing panels (not VLM panels) which exceeds the latest limit implemented in the code. I have made a temporary adjustment downloadable at

http://www.geocities.com/xflr5/XFLR5_v319a.zip

For the other suggestions, well, the VLM is not designed to handle thick bodies such as the fuse. Also the viscous properties generated by XFoil will not be relevant for a fuse, which means another method than the VLM is necessary.

The next release is scheduled to introduce an option for a biplane, if that may help, and it will fix the issue with the water density. Should be available in 2-3 months or so.

André

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2007-04-08

Hi,

Sure, your help will be appreciated to fix this bug. Could you possibly :
      1. Send one of your project files to xflr5@yahoo.com, and confirm the sequence of commands which leads to the bug : for instance is it an LLT or a VLM analysis ?
      2. Download the following trial version http://www.geocities.com/xflr5/XFLR5_v320_0.zip to a temporary folder and run a crash-case. Use only temporary wpa file, they will not be readable any more with v3.19. The run will generate a "Trace.txt" file next to XFLR5.exe, please send it to xflr5@yahoo.com.

It may take a few iterations to understand and fix the bug.

Thanks

André

PS are you running on Vista ? There have been some issues on this OS

• RetiredGeek

RetiredGeek - 2007-04-09

Hi Andre,
      will download the zip in a bit, but last install of your program gave my machine a lot of grief that I have to sort first.
      As for my machine, just running XP pro.
      Just curious...I get a lot of negative induced drag on some models and it takes heaps of work to juggle the configuration of the models to get rid of this (just assuming it doesn't occur in the real world) <grin>....know that overlapping sections as in twist or dihedral that are too close don't help, but sometimes it just happens for no dicernable reason...any idea why this happens?
      I have written a spreadsheet where I can move a dat file in the Z' axis and add alpha at the same time and re-write the output to a new dat file....this seems to eliminate a good bit of the problems, but If I ever have to tweek the dihedral or twist settings, the negative induced drag tends to return.
      Another thing that might help is to add a few more appendage models.....Im always running out of available parts to models....like I do a fuse as part of the wing etc.
      Also....settings for water would be handy....current setup doesn't like 1025kg/m^3 for salt water...use this for wings on foiling sailboats. (using a really old version that will at least let me get to 999.999kg/m^3.....lol) Better yet rather than have to figure out the numbers every time....how about a temp alt and an air, freshwater and saltwater menu choice?
      Sorry for too many suggestions....they are the easy part and Im sure your busy enough with planned changes as it is.
      cheers
      Richard