To build Xena from the source files, you will need to do the following.
You should create an installation directory for the Xena source files, such as xena-source. In all of the following Xena build procedures, this directory will be referred to as xena-source.
Install a GIT Distributed Version Control Client.
Git is a distributed version control system. This tool is used to manage the source code for Xena. Before you can check out the source code, you will need to install the Git client on your system. More information about Git can be found on the SourceForge Git client instructions page.
The JDK can be downloaded from the Java downloads page.
If you already have it installed, you can check the version of Java installed as follows:
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type: cmd
4. Click OK
5. At the command prompt, enter: java -version
If a short message containing a version number appears, check that the version is 1.6.0 or greater.
Install JDK or OpenJDK via your package manager.
sudo yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
If you already have it installed, you can check the version of Java installed from the command-line:
Mac users should download Java from the Apple website Java downloads page.
Install Ant via your package manager.
1. Download Apache Ant from the Apache Ant website.
2. Extract all files in the downloaded file to an appropriate directory.
3. Set ANT_HOME to the root directory of your Ant installation.
4. Set JAVA_HOME to the root directory of your JRE installation.
5. Add the Ant bin directory to your system path.
More detailed installation instructions for Apache Ant are available in the Apache Ant Manual (included with the Ant distribution).