Menu

Tutorial? Even a hint?

2008-05-06
2013-04-08
  • Ted Ruegsegger

Ted Ruegsegger - 2008-05-06

This package sounds like exactly what I seek, especially since it does dimensions! Am I the only would-be user who hasn't found the documentation? I know it's beta and I don't expect a full user's manual, but perhaps someone's written a quick walkthrough to create a simple drawing?

Failing that, can someone give me a hint on how to get started? I've used (and loved) Xfig in the past but I'm not sure I remember how. If that will help me understand Xdraft, I'll take the time to reread Xfig's docs.

Eager to start drawing,
    Ted Ruegsegger
    ps. Last time I did an actual mechanical drawing was 4 decades ago, so go easy on my atrophied skills.

• Ed Falk

Ed Falk - 2008-05-06

I have heard your pleas and been moved.  It's about time I wrote some instructions.  Stand by, I'll have something on the SF website by the end of the week.

-ed falk

• Ed Falk

Ed Falk - 2008-05-07

Try http://xdraft.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

It's a very preliminary, incomplete first draft.  I'm just looking for feedback on the format and style, and especially feedback on whether or not it's helpful.

-ed falk

• Ted Ruegsegger

Ted Ruegsegger - 2008-05-07

Even for a first draft, this is great. My mind needs to see the big picture and this gives me exactly that. I've so far read only the first bit (I'm at work at the moment and should focus on what they pay me for) but I'm delighted and looking forward to going through the whole doc. Thanks very much for the quick response to my request for help and, of course, thanks for the great tool.
      Ted

• Ed Falk

Ed Falk - 2008-05-08

OK, I've pretty much written as much as I'm going to on the tutorial, given that the interface will be changing a bit pretty soon anyway.

http://xdraft.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

I'll also be releasing version 0.11 soon.  It contains fixes for a few bugs I discovered while writing the tutorial.