Menu

Great Program!

2003-06-08
2013-04-08
  • Brian Kerley

Brian Kerley - 2003-06-08

First I must say, this program is pretty cool.  I've used AutoCAD quite a bit, self-taught, and this program has some promise.  I especially like the small footprint of this program.  It's amazing that you've been able to keep the filesize below 500kb, when AutoCAD, etc., takes upwards of 50MB.  Makes you wonder what all that extra space is for.  I saw the calculator function, or at least the menu item that I believe means you will have a built in calculator later on. GREAT IDEA!  When I used AutoCAD, I was constantly switching back and forth between it, my graphing calculator, a piece of paper, and also windows' calculator.  It would be nice to have the calculator show more than one line at a time, similar to a graphing calculator so you can go back and look at past numbers that have been done.  As long as you have the basic functions, and then square root, and the trig functions w/ their inverses, I don't really see much more that you would need.  One quick thing, it doesn't seem, at the time at least, that there is a way to change the measurement system between inches, cm's, mm's, feet, etc.  That would be a nice thing.  It appears right now that it is in centimeters.   If that is going to stay that way, then you may want to have a convesion feature, possibly built into the calculator that the user could convert between standard and metric.  Also, a command line, similar to AutoCAD would be nice, where everything can be typed out.  I find this method to move very quickly and smoothly when I have worked before.  Not to mention it's exactness.  Keep up the good work. I remember seeing 0.3 not to long ago, and then all of a sudden there was 0.8.   What a surprise. 

• Ed Falk

Ed Falk - 2005-06-30

Hi; thanks for your comments.  Currently, the calculator is built into everything.  For instance, you can move to the "X" text entry and type "13+5/8".

It's in the cards to have a popup calculator window as well, but it's not done yet.

Also, the latest version of xdraft now has a "File -> Set Scale" menu item to let you switch between units.