Menu

Download window (for video files) - on screen location

2020-07-14
2020-07-14
  • Christer Johansen

First of all, thanks for an excellent download manager. I've been using XDM for a few years, so I'm pretty familiar with it. It has saved me countless hours download times through the years.

Anyhow, there is one to me very annoying feature, and that is the "Doanload window" used to download video files from YouTube and other video sites. Even if it's pretty small, no matter what I do it always ends somewhat up in the way in the bottom right corner, especially since it'll always sit on top of other windows. I can move it, but it always ends up down there again.

1) It would be great if it remembered the location where it was manually placed so ti would open up and stay there next time. Should be an easy fix.

2) It would also be great if we could chose (on options) not to ever see this window. I can count on one hand how many times I donnload videos by using this window, so the problem would be eliminated if I had the option to just turn it off so I never see it.

3) Why do we need this annoying window at all? Itr seems like the exact same download links are available by just clicking on the XDM addon icon for Chrome, so at least for Chrome it seems rather redundant. Except that the option to download videos disappears from the XDM plugin too if I close the Window, but that behaviour should be an easy fix to rectify.

So, any chance of getting at least some of this implemented so we can get rid of this annoying (for some at least) window that seems to pop up at the wrong places. :)

• agentx

agentx - 2020-07-14

Better suggestion would be to take a page from almost everyother download manager out there and have the progress sit in the icon in the browser and have to click XDM's icon in the browser to see the progress of the download. Take a good look at Video DownloadHelper which like XDM has a desktop companion. VDH only pops up a notification once the video is done downloading or if there was an error downloading. Another thing that needs to be fixed is the main download box. Once a download is started that box should disappear and one should have to click the icon in the browser to see the progress., and that secondary popup in the middle of the screen after a download is none needs to be made a notification and follow the system notification rules.

• Christer Johansen

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I don't care much about Video DownloadHelper, I just want that "video download" window in XDM to "get lost". I'm fine with the rest of the functionality, but that "Download videos" window is just annoying and constantly in the way (even in the lower left corner of my screen).

• agentx

agentx - 2020-07-14

That exactly why I made my SUGGESTION of turning it into a notification that goes away after x amount of time. If you add the download video option to the dropdown menu when you click on XDM's browser icon and just have a quick notification when the video is done would uniform it with other download managers, and notifications can always be turned off if you don't want them.