Which database in most suitable for XBRL

Help
Ajaz Ahmad
2009-05-11
2013-05-02
  • Ajaz Ahmad

Ajaz Ahmad - 2009-05-11

Hi,

I was searching on the net about the database for xbrl.Through searching i visit ur website and also saw XBRLApi open source processor.
    I am student of Software technology and working on my final thesis on XBRL.
    I have some questions and need your help regarding these questions.
    In your processor, you are using Berkeley DB Xml, Xindice and eXist databases..
    whats the difference in these databases?
    As a XBRL reporting application, a company will use one central database server or also provide a client database with application to the customer. or

The customer will communicate with the central database application, and will store and reterive information.

Does you processor provide integration with .Net technology as well.

I can write taxonomy and instance documents in XML but how do i reterive information in .Net application or can contect schema file with .Net..
    if you have any link or example then please send me.

Will be very thankful to you.
    Thanks

• Geoffrey Shuetrim

The idea of the API is to allow you to use the one API with a variety of underlying data stores.  So far, these have been required to be XML databases that support XPath querying.  I am currently considering whether to extend this set of requirements to require support of XQuery rather than just XPath.  That would mean dropping Xindice support and changing the handling of querying (to use Saxon) for the in-memory data store.

A simple adaptor class (extending the org.xbrlapi.store.BaseStoreImpl class) needs to be written to enable a new underlying data store.

The data stores that are currently available differ with regard to their approach to handling data store interactions (does the store run as a separate web application itself - Xindice and eXist, or does it run as part of the API run time - eXist and Oracle Berkeley XML Database).  The data stores naturally also differ with regard to the efficiency of their querying and database accesses and modifications.  Generally, I am getting best performance with the Oracle Berkeley XML database and am putting most effort into optimising that data store.

As a XBRL reporting application, a company will use one central database server or also provide a client database with application to the customer. or

The API implementation is done in Java.  No .Net support is available.

Check out the source code in the examples module for insights into how the underlying XBRL information can be extracted from taxonomies and instances.

Regards

Geoff Shuetrim

• Ajaz Ahmad

Ajaz Ahmad - 2009-05-12

Thanks for the prompt reply Geoff,

In your Api, have you the validator that validate the IFRS or us-gaap taxonomies..and there is no bin file in the downloaded data, because i am .Net programmer and didnot know much about java..
      or can you please tell me how to run your API in java...which files i have to added

Thanks

Regards
      Ajaz Janjua

• Geoffrey Shuetrim

The API provides no validation capabilities.  Commercial APIs will be the best place to go at the moment for such functionality.  You could use the XBRLAPI to write validation routines but that will be up to you, at least for now.

As you are a .Net programmer, you will need to get familiar with Java to use the XBRLAPI.  For starters, do not go looking for binary files.  The Sun website is a reasonable place to get started with the Java learning curve.

See the website www.xbrlapi.org for a guide on how to get started using the API with Java.  The instructions there are comprehensive (I think) if a little terse.  An understanding of how to use Java is a pre-requisite though.

Regards

Geoff Shuetrim

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks