Menu

white screen on vixta installing

Help
Dr. Lo
2009-03-01
2012-08-27
  • Dr. Lo

Dr. Lo - 2009-03-01

I have an asus p5k-e motherboard with a e6600, my bios is set up in the ahci mode (I think linux support it by default). And I have an ATi hd 2900 pro (the cheaper version of the hd 2900 xt).

I've just burn the 2009 Vixta Aero 3D iso on a dvd+rw and in the bios I've set the dvdrom drive to boot first.
    So the installing procedure starts normally with the ten second screen.
    After the .img loading, it says that my video mode is undefinable. It says I can change it manually or let the computer work: I've tried both.
    Anyway, after 30 seconds it continues, there's a blue screen and, soon after, it freezes on a white one... I can use my mouse, so I tried waiting 5 minutes, but the white screen was still the same.

What can I do? Shall I write some other info?

thanks for all the help you can give me!

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-29

Hi,

I'm trying to run Xange Live CD but when it's loading, it shows the hard drive icon blinking and then it shows a blue screen with the mouse cursor, after a few minutes the screen goes black without the cursor.

I've tryed to run from boot with "single" option and "b", but it didn't help.

I posted this comment in the forum of the project but i hope you continue helping me.

• sal

sal - 2009-05-30

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-30

Hi,

I run the CD on another PC and at the end shows:

OUT OF FREQUENCY

HF: 33.4kHz
        VF: 42.0Hz

OPERATING FREQUENCY

HF: 30-71kHz
        VF: 50-160Hz

I know that it is a display issue but i have no clue of how to solve it.

• sal

sal - 2009-03-03

hi,

the 3D effects are not supported by your graphic card.

you shold do:

1. boot
      2. after blank screen, do Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace
      3. alt + f2
      4. login as root, with no pass
      5. rm -rf /home/vixta/.kde/env/kdewm.sh
      6. alt+f1
      7. login as vixta

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-28

Hi,

I have the same problem but running the live cd, is there a way to skip the 3d effects when booting since it takes to much time to load.

• sal

sal - 2009-05-28

hi,

in the grub menu, at boot time, edit it, pressing 2 times in the "tab", after that, you must add "single" at the end of the kernel line. after press enter and after again press "b"

when the boot stop:
        1. rm -rf /etc/skel/.kde/env/*
        2. init 5

i think it's all

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-28

Hi,

I did what you described and now it got stucked at starting cups OK, it's been about 20 minutes since then.

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-29

Hi,

Me again, now i tried to boot in another machine and i have the following errors:

EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=6825, block=685
      EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=1596, block=358
      EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=890, block=314

• sal

sal - 2009-05-29

sorry the live cd is "smashed" to fit in a CD, and because that i have to put out a lot of compatibility sw.

...i think Vixta is the only live CD distro to have firefox+openoffice+vlc+skype in just a CD!

PS: try out the Vixta 2009.06 release candidate, published yesterday.

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-29

Hi,

That's the version that i'm using at this point.

I've used Simplis 3.10, Vixta Aero 3D and Vixta 2009.06; since i have not be able to successfully burn the Vixta 095.02.

I'll use Everest to obtain the hw of the PCs that i'm using and send it to you, so i would apreciate it if you give me your email so i can send you the files.

• sal

sal - 2009-05-29

this is a vga problem!

you must delete de files in: /home/user/.kde/env/*

to be able to login with the 3D efffects disabled.

you could use xange.sf.net, wich is equal to vixta, but wihtout the 3D effects enable by defaults

• camcal

camcal - 2009-05-30

Here is the report from Everest from the first PC that i used, so maybe you can identify the problem and find the way to work around.

--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v5.02.1750
      Benchmark Module                                  2.4.258.0
      Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/
      Report Type                                       Quick Report [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Computer                                          MAYOTONI-PC2
      Generator                                         MODULO 2
      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
      Date                                              2009-05-29
      Time                                              19:52

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
        Computer Type                                     Monoprocesador ACPI de PC
        Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
        OS Service Pack                                   [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        Internet Explorer                                 7.0.5730.13 (IE 7.0)
        DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
        Computer Name                                     MAYOTONI-PC2
        User Name                                         MODULO 2
        Logon Domain                                      [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        Date / Time                                       2009-05-29 / 19:52

Motherboard:
        CPU Type                                          Intel Celeron-S, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
        Motherboard Name                                  Compaq Presario 4400US
        Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Solano i815E
        System Memory                                     [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        DIMM1: ProMos/Mosel Vitelic V436416S04VCTG-75     128 MB  SDRAM  (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)
        DIMM2: Samsung M3 66S1654CTS-C7A                  [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        BIOS Type                                         Compaq (06/13/02)
        Communication Port                                Puerto de comunicaciones (COM1)
        Communication Port                                Puerto de comunicaciones (COM2)
        Communication Port                                Puerto de impresora ECP (LPT1)

Display:
        Video Adapter                                     Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation)  (32 MB)
        3D Accelerator                                    Intel i752
        Monitor                                           Philips 107E (107E6)  [17" CRT]  (CX  265909)

Multimedia:
        Audio Adapter                                     Analog Devices AD1885 @ Intel 82801BA ICH2 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-5]

Storage:
        IDE Controller                                    Controladora de Bus Master IDE Intel(r) 82801BA
        Floppy Drive                                      Unidad de disquete
        Disk Drive                                        WDC WD400EB-11CPF0  (37 GB, IDE)
        Optical Drive                                     LITE-ON LTR-24102B  (24x/10x/40x CD-RW)
        SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
        C: (NTFS)                                         [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        E: (NTFS)                                         2052 MB (719 MB free)
        F: (NTFS)                                         22790 MB (497 MB free)
        Total Size                                        [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input:
        Keyboard                                          Teclado estándar de 101/102 teclas o Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
        Mouse                                             Mouse compatible PS/2

Network:
        Primary IP Address                                [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        Primary MAC Address                               00-40-F4-EF-F4-EA
        Network Adapter                                   NIC Fast Ethernet PCI Familia RTL8139 de Realtek  (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
        Modem                                             Conexant HSFi V90 V92 56K PCI Modem

Peripherals:
        Printer                                           \\192.168.0.145\HP Deskjet 3740 Series
        Printer                                           \\192.168.0.145\Xerox WC 4118 Series PCL 6
        USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801BA ICH2 - USB Controller 1 [B-5]
        USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801BA ICH2 - USB Controller 2 [B-5]

DMI:
        DMI BIOS Vendor                                   Compaq
        DMI BIOS Version                                  686P9 v1.11
        DMI System Manufacturer                           Compaq
        DMI System Product                                Presario 4400US
        DMI System Version                                
        DMI System Serial Number                          [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        DMI System UUID                                   [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        DMI Motherboard Manufacturer                      Compaq
        DMI Motherboard Product                           07A8h
        DMI Motherboard Version                           
        DMI Motherboard Serial Number                     [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        DMI Chassis Manufacturer                          Compaq
        DMI Chassis Version                               
        DMI Chassis Serial Number                         [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        DMI Chassis Asset Tag                             [ TRIAL VERSION ]
        DMI Chassis Type

I'll post the report from the PC with the Display problem.