Menu

Differences between Vixta and Fedora

2007-11-14
2012-08-27
  • Vitor Correia

Vitor Correia - 2007-11-14

Hello everyone!

What new features does Vixta add to the Fedora base, or is it just a rebrand?

Thanks,
    ./vcorreia

• trailboss

trailboss - 2007-12-18

hi,
      See this is my point. I suggested using MCNlive as your base and you have not. WHY NOT? The maker of MCNlive is not going to build it anymore. He has everything already working well and it's rpm and RedHat based just as Fedora is. It should make all your troubles go away. All you'll have to do is Put your theme on it.
      let me know
      Trailboss

• hawake

hawake - 2007-11-14

hi,
      Vixta, implements into the FedoraCore base more driver compatibility, more user-frinedlity, and, for there that they can do, integration of compatibily with windows, instead.
      Is a good distro both for newbies both for developer that want not to configure the system.
      I apologize for my bad english.

byez
      hawake

• Vitor Correia

Vitor Correia - 2007-11-15

Hi.

Thanks for your response.

In what ways does Vixta implement "more driver compatibility, more user-frinedlity, and, for there that they can do, integration of compatibily with windows..." ?

--
      ./vcorreia

• Vitor Correia

Vitor Correia - 2007-11-15

For instance, how does Vixta handle video and audio codecs and stuff like that? Fedora is known for being 100% free software, so I'm wondering if Vixta will build on that and add the proper codecs for an "perfect" out-of-the-box experience or will Vixta rely on Fedora features like Codec Buddy for that purpose?

Hence my question, is it a rebrand/remaster of Fedora or does it actually bring something new?

--
      ./vcorreia

• jpl

jpl - 2007-11-22

Hi Vitor,

I think the aproach of Vixta is bringing a system that appears to the desk user like windows as much as possible.
      Think of my case, I work in a company and I'm tring to migrate as many desk as I can from windows to linux, but people resists to this because they find too many differences between both OSs (in my case I started installing openSUSE).
      Now I'm starting to install Vixta (although it's still in dipers) because they find much more things in the same place and with the same name than in windows, so they do not resist that much.
      I don't know if there's many other differences among Vixta and Fedora, but I can tell that they have cutted off a lot of packages from fedora's install, even things like cups, wich I don't understand quite much because they already passed the size of their iso out of a cd limit.

• Vitor Correia

Vitor Correia - 2007-11-26

Hi jpl,

Thanks for your answer.

A Vixta roadmap would help in clearing all these questions, wouldn't it?

@apsantos, is there anyway way we can have a roadmap?

./vcorreia

• Joseph

Joseph - 2007-12-06

I noticed that installing Vixta left me without sound or video - and unable to access shared folders on the home network. I supposed that sound drivers must be installed for my AC97 onboard sound - but I could not figure out how to make that happen. I've made a sincere effort to switch from Windows to Linux because Vista sucks really bad - but every distro of Linux sucks worse so far. I had hoped Vixta would be different - but it's just as bug infested and lacking in driver support as any other distro I've tried. I can't use it. Bummer! Back to Redmond I go... dragging my tail between my legs... UGH!!!

Bugs/limitations I've encountered:
      1. No sound support for my Mobo/AC97 sound
      2. No way to play videos in standard .mpg and .mov formats
      3. Unbelievably SLOW - Firefox took over 45 seconds to open the first time - about 30 seconds now. Open office Write takes over 90 seconds to open. I noticed that this slowness improved when I set the virtual machine to use only 1 CPU. Using 2 CPUs puts this OS into slowmo really bad.
      4. Sometimes the OS will freeze up without any warning. Because it is so slow, I sometimes think it has frozen when it is just so slow.
      5. No support for my scanner (Paperport), my card reader (for uploading photos), my webcam (Logitech Quickcam), my wireless mouse (basic functions only), or my camcorder (1394 port).
      6. Still some pretty arcane command line processing for common tasks like installing drivers and updating software. I'm exhausted from searching forums, trying various command line ideas, and downloading/installing rpms that don't work or cause a system failure - and I still don't have sound. On a positive note - I have found LOTS of very knowledgeable Linux users out there willing to share expertise free - ya don't see that at Microhard.

I've been using a computer since CP/M days and Windows since Windows 2.0. I've tried Linux a number of times and had to go back to MS each time. Linux has a long way to go to catch up, imho. Too bad! Linux certainly has the right idea - just not implemented well enough yet. I have only the highest praise for the Vixta development team and contributors - they have a tall order to fill, especially considering the pay involved.

I just hate having to be stuck with Microsoft or Apple - if a Linux Distro would automatically recognize and install drivers for all my hardware, and provide me access to software I like (MS Office 2007 is great stuff if expensive - I don't like Open Office even though the price is right), I'd be one happy Linux camper.

Joseph

MSI MS-7125 Mobo with AC97 audio
      AMD Athlon64x2 3800+
      Running Vixta 098.1 in VMWare's Virtual Machine inside WinXP SP2 using 10GB disk space and 1GB RAM

• astro

astro - 2007-12-06

Well I feel Linux (Gentoo, Ubutnu, Vixta, etc) is not the best choice for everyone.

I feel its an individual's choice and sometimes that individual may need to spend the money on Vista/OSX (delete as applicable). But if you do perserveer with Vixta here are my two pence worth on your problems;

1) Try the fedora command system-config-soundcard as root to detect your soundcard.
      2) Don't know. Is it a problem with proprietary codecs?
      3) Don't know, try installing it directly to your system, see if that helps. Although OO is always slow to start the first time.
      4) Don't know, I don't see this at all.
      5) Email or write to the manufacturers of the equipment and ask for a Linux driver for your hardware. It might not help, but they provide M$ ones, so they should be able to provide Linux ones too.
      6) Personally I like the command line, but that's just me ;)

Well good luck, whatever.

• Vitor Correia

Vitor Correia - 2007-12-06

@Joseph

I'm not head over heels with Vixta, but complaining especially about speed whilst running inside a virtual machine is not exactly fair! And did you add sound support to your virtual machine, prior to booting vixta?
      Using virtualization helps a lot in trying out distros, but can also lead to a whole slew of problems...

Having said that, don't bash linux just because vixta and rpm based distros don't work for you... and i'm leaving it at that.

Take care.

--
      ./vcorreia