Menu

Frame Decoding Speed (x264vfw vs FFdshow-VFW)

Help
oceanpure
2014-09-20
2014-09-21
  • oceanpure

oceanpure - 2014-09-20

Dear BugMaster,

Even though VFW is outdated and even though a once the year, thank you so much for updating of x264vfw.

If it's possible, I have a request.

FFdshow's VFW decoder always more fast decoding than x264vfw's internal decoder when frame-by-frame decoding and seeking with SHIFT left/right arrow in VirtualDub. Especially some 720p and all 1080p AVC vidoes.

So, why I don't using FFdshow's decoder? Because FFshows's decoder impair the b-frame integrity if "Smart Rendering" is enabled in Virtualdub.

Why isn't same fast x264vfw's decoder as well as FFdshow-VFW decoder? You're H.264/AVC/X264 genius. Of course, as you would know better why reason. My guess: x264vfw can't support using cores of the CPU. If it's true, could you adding x264vfw's decoding to multi-core support? Or could you make frame decoding speed of x264vfw decoder same fast as well as FFdshow VFW? Or I request that you could convert exactly replace "ffh264 decoder" of x264vfw with FFdshow's VFW decoder. Perhaps, slow decoding of frames can be fixed when seeking.

I'm sorry, my bad English.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards...

• BugMaster

BugMaster - 2014-09-20

Hi. My main priority with "ffh264 decoder" in x264vfw was correct decoding with minimal decoder frame lag not the speed. By frame lag here I mean situations when you ask decoder to show frame N and instead of it decoder return you frame N-2 (or black screen if you asked frame 0 or 1). Due to this goal multithreading is DISABLED in "ffh264 decoder" because every one more thread will increase this frame lag by one more frame. And so speed of decoding can be lower than other decoders with multithreading enabled.

P.S. Even with disabled multithreading decoder frame lag is not always zero. When you decoding streams with B-frames decoder frame lag still exist but it is limited to only 1 or 2 frames so this still can be visible as frame drops during "Smart Rendering".

• oceanpure

oceanpure - 2014-09-21

Hello BugMaster,

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
      Wow! Full detailed infos. I would never know this informations. Now I've got reasons why the decoding frame lag of x264vfw.
      Thank you so much for your interest and very detailed informations.
      Sincerely...