Menu

x264vfw - Stuttering Recording.

2017-08-25
2017-08-25
  • Fatih Solak

Fatih Solak - 2017-08-25

Hello everybody,

Recently, I am trying to find a good way to record games and I found out MSI Afterburner is what I want.

It has support for x264vfw and I found out a nice compression size with good quality. But my problem, video is freezing and speeds changing while recorded. It's not due to hardware resources.

Please take a look at my recorded video. I am also uploaded my current settings so could you please tell me which settings do I need to change?

Current Settings:
    http://imgur.com/a/zhAnY

Sample Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6x7J0dUB9I&feature=youtu.be

Thank you so much for your replies.

• BugMaster

BugMaster - 2017-08-26

Hi. It is due to hardware resources i.e. not enough CPU to simultaneously play game and make encoding in realtime. You should find the slowest "Preset" which would be still fast enough for your CPU i.e. probably something around "Veryfast" or "Faster". Also you should set "Zero Latency" tuning if you output in VFW mode in anything else than VirtualDub. And imho "Fast Decode" is not needed for you as you should optimize encoding here and not decoding.

• Fatih Solak

Fatih Solak - 2017-08-26

Thank your for reply BugMaster, problem is solved when I set Preset: Ultrafast but then the file size went up ultra crazy. That video had only about 10MB recorded and CPU was not even being used. I wanted to find a way to keep that file size and fix that stuttering. So increasing Preset does it but at the cost of huge amount of video space.

I am switched to AMD AMF and it's working properly once set the values also using lower disk space for same quality I think. It's about 100MB per 1 minute for an acceptable quality now.

My CPU is Intel Core i7 - 5820k @ 3.30 and 12 threads. Liquid Cooled.

Last edit: Fatih Solak 2017-08-26