Menu

Several Hundred Worked Examples

2016-01-02
2016-01-24
  • Studs Kreitzer

Studs Kreitzer - 2016-01-02

Hello All,

Now that I'm retired, I no longer have Mathematica, which the school used to provide to the faculty. So, when I found wxMaxima a month ago or so, I was curious to see if it would fulfill my needs. I really don't have a couple thousand dollars to throw around nowadays!

I had an old copy of Eugene Don's inexpensive book, Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Mathematica, (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001) lying about. So, as a test, I decided to work through it and see how close I could come with wxMaxima instead.

Great results! Of the 366 problems in the book, I was able to work 341 immediately. Of the handful that were troublesome, several ran out of memory, a few were impossible to work directly in symbolic form, and the remainder I couldn't finish were probably due to my inexperience.

In other words, this experiment was a tremendous success. I am now a committed wxMaxima user.

In the next post, I'll attach the results. Even if you don't own the book I worked from, perhaps if you're a newcomer like me, you might find something useful. Feel free to pass these around as desired.

Studs Kreitzer

• Studs Kreitzer

Studs Kreitzer - 2016-01-02

And here are the examples.

• Gary Bollenbach

Gary Bollenbach - 2016-01-24

I ran through your chapters. This is good. I think I may be able to use this as I start to make the same transition to the 'other M'.

• daviodan daviodan

Thank you, Studs Kreitzer!