Menu

Input lines do not print in wxMaxima

2015-09-24
2016-01-06
  • Studs Kreitzer

Studs Kreitzer - 2015-09-24

Hello,

I hope I'm not asking something foolish, but have spent quite a few hours going through all the tutorials and manuals I can find, with no luck.

If I try to print out a notebook (from the File/Print menu item), the input lines do not print.

For example, if I type in:

(%i1) 2+2;
    (%o1) 4

and then send it to the printer, I see:

(%i1)
    (%o1) 4

The output line appears, but the input line doesn't.

I'm using the newest version (downloaded today) of wxMaxima, running on a Windows 7 laptop.

Can some kind person please point out what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Studs Kreitzer

• Ago77

Ago77 - 2015-09-27

There is definitely a problem, at least with the Windows version.

• Studs Kreitzer

Studs Kreitzer - 2015-10-16

Just for the heck of it, I tried it out under Ubuntu. You're right. While the Windows version fails to print the input lines, the Ubuntu/Linux version works just fine.

So, the print problem seems to be specific to the Windows version.

• Don Bindner

Don Bindner - 2015-10-27

Actually, I just compiled 15.08.2 on an Ubuntu machine, and when I went to print I had exactly the same behavior as you describe. So it is not a Windows problem.

• Andrej Vodopivec

This is a bug in the latest released version. Unfortunately it was reported to late and we wont make another release just to fix it. A new version of maxima/wxmaxima is expected in about a month.

https://github.com/andrejv/wxmaxima/issues/572
    http://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/bugs/3018/

• Studs Kreitzer

Studs Kreitzer - 2015-11-03

Hi Don,

You're right; I just checked it out. Just for the heck of it, I tried some older versions on Ubuntu. I found that version 13.04.02 could print input lines, but not text lines. Anything later prints neither, in either Windows or Linux.

It appears that not being able to print results is the biggest handicap in wxMaxima right now. But other than that, I sure love the program!

Studs Kreitzer

• Christopher Oliver

If not a release, then how about at least a commit to your repository so those who build wxMaxima for themselves can at least get a hot fix? It's been well over a month now. I wanted to send someone some notes, and this bug leaves me unable to show my work.

• Studs Kreitzer

Studs Kreitzer - 2015-12-16

I see that version 15.10.0 for Linux now prints the input lines, but still not text (comment) lines. However, I noticed a few other quirks elsewhere with regard to evaluation by the mouse context menu. But at least we can print out mostly complete worksheets now!

• Christopher Oliver

Given how grumbly I was, I had to drop in to say thanks for getting input lines printing.

Here's an observation about the missing text/title/{sub{sub}}section cells: they print iff they are the first line. If they are on a subsequent line, they are suppressed. I don't know if this helps narrow down the bug at all.

LaTeX export seems badly broken, but I suspect that's not too big a deal as folk will orbably want to paste up thair own pages with individual formulae and PDF gnuplots.

• Christopher Oliver

s/orbably/probably/

• Christopher Oliver

a/thair/their/

Must proofread better. Sigh!

• Christopher Oliver

Actually, it turns out to be even funkier than that. A text/subsec/subsubsec prints if it's at the top of the page, and nowhere else.

• Joseph Cusumano

Joseph Cusumano - 2016-01-06

I'm seeing exactly the same behavior as Christopher, with the latest version just downloaded from the repository today. FWIW, I'm compiling it in #!++ (Debian Jessie) with version 3.0 of wxwidgets. So... the print facilities are almost working, but not quite yet.