A couple of questions on build wxD

wxD
Sam H__
2009-06-15
2013-05-22
  • Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-15

Hello Sirs and Madams,

Although I am new to C++ but I used wxWdigets for C++ for more than one year.Now I would like to use wxD.But before compiling work starts,I would like to make sure everything is ready to go.Here is my question:

1.Is wx2.6.4 is a must to have? In my pc,I already have a copy of wx2.8.9 installed with mingw3.4.5.Should I download and compile the wx2.6.4 anyway?
    2.Is dmc the only choice to build wxc? As #1 mentioned,I have mingw3.4.5 installed.Should I use dmc to compile anyway?
    3.For D1 and D2,which dmd the latest version wxD14 support?For D1 with Tango,is Tango0.998 supported?
    4.Can I just simply use the pre-compiled libs (wx2.8.7 wxc and wxd) to start?

It would be grateful if anyone could lend me a hand on this.

Best Regards,
    Sam

• Anders F Björklund

1. You should be able to use wx 2.8.9 (or 2.8.10), just that it was originally written for 2.6.4 and some of the API/code reflects this... If you have mingw wxWidgets, use that.
      2. MinGW is actually preferred over DMC, just that they were bundled up like: DMC/DMD and GCC/GDC instead of mixing and matching the compiler vendors.
      3. It should build with the latest versions of DMD and Tango, with some caveats for D2 which is ever-changing and might not be supported. But D1 should work just fine.
      4. You can do that, but if you have MinGW already it's probably easier/better to just build your own. It's supposed to be like "make", maybe you'll need some options.

But start with "make COMPILER=DMD LIBRARY=Tango all samp", and see what you get ? That should use your already installed MinGW g++ and wx to build the libraries.

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-15

But start with "make COMPILER=DMD LIBRARY=Tango all samp", and see what you get ? That should use your already installed MinGW g++ and wx to build the libraries.
      --compiler error:

F:\DLang\TangoD\wxd>make COMPILER=DMD LIBRARY=Tango all samp
      cd wxc
      make
      Error on line 181: can't read makefile '/build/msw/config.dmc'

--- errorlevel 1

F:\DLang\TangoD\wxd>

clue?Thanks.

• Anders F Björklund

I think you must use GNU make, instead of the DM make...
        Maybe use/append something like MAKE=mingw32-make ?

I normally use the MSYS shell, where I think it comes
        before in the $PATH ? Check with "make --version"

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-15

I think you must use GNU make, instead of the DM make...
      Maybe use/append something like MAKE=mingw32-make ?

Sorry I don't understand your point.Below is my sys:
      winXP+mingw3.4.5+wxWidgets2.8.10
      path:
      e:\wxWidgets2810==>wxWidget2.8.10 extract files
      f:\dlang\tangoD\dmd\windows\bin==>dmd.exe (tango0.998+dmd 1.043)
      f:\dlang\tangoD\wxD==>wxD14 extract files
      f:\dlang\tangoD\dsss\bin==>dsss0.78
      c:\mingw\bin==>mingw32-make.exe

wxWidgets2810 has been compiled successfully by (e:\wxWidgets\build\msw>):
      mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUIID=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 2>errlog.txt
      This has been tested by C::B nightly build v5616.

And my tango works fine.

This is all I have.I did not have MSYS installed.So could you please figure me out what's next for me to proceed.

Thanks a million.

Regards,
      Sam

• Anders F Björklund

What I meant is if you could try with "mingw32-make" instead of "make" ?

But I haven't really tried it myself, outside of MSYS and its `wx-config`...

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-15

What I meant is if you could try with "mingw32-make" instead of "make" ?

Yes.I tried,all the same with the error message.

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-16

And don't know why it look for config.dmc,not *.gcc or something the like.

• Anders F Björklund

This is "normal" if you use DM make, since it is configured to always use DMC. But if you are using MinGW and GNU make, then it should use the GNUmakefile instead.

However, at the moment you need to use MSYS to get a decent shell. It should be possible to allow DM make to use GCC too, but at the moment it is hard-coded to DMC...

• Anders F Björklund

To summarize: for the time being, you can either use cmd.exe and DM make and it'll use DMC and DMD or you can use MSYS and GNU make and it'll use GCC and GDC/LDC/DMD. But the GNU makefile does need a shell.

It should be possible to use the DOS console with mingw32-make and GCC and DMD, but that combination hasn't been made to work with the makefiles just yet... However, using wx 2.8.10 instead of wx 2.6.4 should work.

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-16

I just installed msys and tried==>infinite loop to entering wxd folder and caused a memoy low--windows need to increase the virtual memory;

I just make dmc.exe avaiable to the system and tried to use dmc to compile use the sam parameters:
      make COMPILER=DMD LIBRARY=Tango all samp

and generate the same error message as before.

thoughts?

Regards,
      Sam

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-16

Alternative:any ready-to-go copy available for download?I don't mind the size is big or not,I have more patience to download than having no clue to struggle the build process.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
      Sam

• Anders F Björklund

Just the old one for 2.8.7...

There's a "Makefile.gcc" in the CVS now, that'll build on Windows with "mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc" plus any additional options like "COMPILER=DMD LIBRARY=Tango" or however you want to build it.

You'll need to set up wx-config.exe from http://wxconfig.googlepages.com/ along with the WXWIN and WXCFG environment variables, to point to your installation prefix and configuration directory.

But a binary might come later.

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-16

Just the old one for 2.8.7...

For wxWidgets2.8.7 is fine for me at present.But how to get it work:
      1.download and compile wxWidget2.8.7 with mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 2>errlog.txt
      2.Get  wxmsw287-dmc_lib.zip and extract to somewhere
      3.Get  wxmsw287-wxd_lib.zip and extract to somewhere
      4.Is it neccessary to set the WXWIN variable as you mentioned above?I know how,just wannt confirm with you if it should be for this installation.

And what next ?
      Kindly advice with so many thanks.

Regards,
      Sam

• Sam H__

Sam H__ - 2009-06-17

It should be easier once wxD 0.15 is out.
      Will do binaries for g++ this time I think ?

OK,I'm looking forward to the new release.

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Regards,
      Sam

• Anders F Björklund

Seems that there is no way to link GCC libraries with DMD on Windows, so you need to use the working GCC/GDC or DMC/DMD combinations instead of mixing and matching the vendors...

"Error: unrecognized file extension a"

• Anonymous - 2010-06-18

Error infomations:
         cd wxc
         make
          -- errorlevel 1

how to build wxd???

• Anonymous - 2010-06-19

Error infomations:
         cd wxc
         make
          -- errorlevel 1

how to build wxd???

• Anonymous - 2011-09-14

Tried the latest wx292 official installation package+dmd2.055+minGW which has already built my wx successfully,but still failed on the build with wxD.

A prebuild package is much appreicated.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks