wv-1.0.0 compile problem on HP-UX

Help
2003-11-23
2003-11-24
  • David Ellement

David Ellement - 2003-11-23

I tried compiling wv-1.0.0; the comile completed in each of the subdirectories, but failed at the top level with these error messages:

grep: /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.la: No such file or directory
    sed: can't read /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.la: No such file or directory
    libtool: link: `/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.la' is not a valid libtool archive
    make[2]: *** [libwv.la] Error 1

The freetype library isn't located in /usr/local/lib.  There's an older version in /opt/freetype, and I've a newer version in $HOME/usr/lib.  It doesn't appear that the configure script provides a way to specify the library location.

How do I get it to look in the right place?

• Francis James Franklin

wv itself shouldn't be looking for freetype at all.

However, libtool (which handles compile & link dependencies and options) will parse the various *.la files (these are just text files with variables listing library locations) to find the locations of the various libraries it needs to link against...

Chances are that one of these *.la files says that freetype is in /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.la - if it isn't, then freetype has been moved (or installed twice and removed once).

• David Ellement

David Ellement - 2003-11-24

I had pulled the freetype library from the HP-UX archive at hpux.cs.utah.edu.  It appears to have ignored the --prefix option to configure; well, it put the library in the right place, but the path was wrong in the libfreetype.la file.  Once I fixed that and rebuilt libwmf, the compile succeeded.

Thanks.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks