Error when using W2L

Help
2010-10-28
2013-05-28
  • Rainer M. Krug

Rainer M. Krug - 2010-10-28

Hi

I am trying to use w2l, but I get the error below.

I am using Ubuntu Maverick,

Thanks,

Rainer

rkrug@ecolmod:~$ update-java-alternatives -l
    java-6-openjdk 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
    java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
    rkrug@ecolmod:~$

rkrug@ecolmod:~$ w2l -clean /tmp/LinkResearchManagement.odt /tmp/LinkResearchManagement.tex

This is Writer2LaTeX, Version 1.0 (2008-09-21)

Starting conversion…
    Reading default configuration clean.xml
    Converting /tmp/LinkResearchManagement.odt
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
            at writer2latex.util.Misc.getChildByTagName(Misc.java:260)
            at writer2latex.latex.MathmlConverter.convert(MathmlConverter.java:74)
            at writer2latex.latex.DrawConverter.handleDrawObject(DrawConverter.java:157)
            at writer2latex.latex.DrawConverter.handleDrawElement(DrawConverter.java:115)
            at writer2latex.latex.DrawConverter.handleDrawElement(DrawConverter.java:132)
            at writer2latex.latex.InlineConverter.traverseOrdinaryInlineText(InlineConverter.java:240)
            at writer2latex.latex.InlineConverter.traverseInlineText(InlineConverter.java:183)
            at writer2latex.latex.ParConverter.handleParagraph(ParConverter.java:162)
            at writer2latex.latex.BlockConverter.traverseBlockText(BlockConverter.java:138)
            at writer2latex.latex.ConverterPalette.convertInner(ConverterPalette.java:205)
            at writer2latex.base.ConverterBase.convert(ConverterBase.java:97)
            at writer2latex.base.ConverterBase.convert(ConverterBase.java:81)
            at writer2latex.Application.doConversion(Application.java:230)
            at writer2latex.Application.main(Application.java:86)
    rkrug@ecolmod:~$

• Henrik Just

Henrik Just - 2010-10-28

Hi Rainer

You are using version 1.0. Unfortunately this version does not work for documents with formulas if they are created with OpenOffice.org 3.2 or later. Please try to upgrade to version 1.0.2 or 1.1.4, this should fix your problem.

Let me know if it helps?

Best regards
    Henrik

• Rainer M. Krug

Rainer M. Krug - 2010-10-29

I upgraded to version 1.1.4 and it is working - but there were no formulas in the document.

Two additional questions:
    1) Would it be possible to customize how comments are handled? I like that it converts the notes, but it would be nice if
    -  the author of the note and the time would also be converted
    - a note could start with %NOTE: , as this would make further processing possible. I am thinking along the lines of converting then into margin- or foot-notes or even using, optional, something like the LaTeX package pdfcomment.

2) Are there any plans to preserve track changes? As far as I know, there is a package in LaTeX called something like "changes" which could offer the facility to do it. Otherwise, as in comments, it would be nice to have the changes as LaTeX comments (%CHANGE …)

Cheers and thatks a lot,

Rainer

Cheers,

Rainer

• Henrik Just

Henrik Just - 2010-11-01

Hi Rainer

Of course author and date information should be added to comments, this change just made it into version 1.1.5, which is released today.
    It's already possible to configure the export of notes, for example
    w2l -notes marginpar document.odt
    to export as a marginpar.
    For details, see http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/doc1.2/user-manual14.html#toc32

I didn't plan to convert track changes, but of course it would be possible. Can you give an example why this would be useful?

Best regards
    Henrik

• Rainer M. Krug

Rainer M. Krug - 2010-11-02

Hi Henrik

Thanks for the update concerning the notes - that is really perfect (I like the marginpar and pdfannotation). Thanks a lot for that.

Concerning track changes:
    I am using LyX for my writing, but (unfortunately) work together with users preferring word. Therefore my workflow is to export to odt, open on OO, save as doc -- get comments and track changes -- open in OO, and transcribe the changes into the original LyX document. If the export of track changes would work, I could Open the document in OO abd save as .odt, import into LyX (using w2l) and keep the track changes. This would be quite nice, because I guess I could convince my co-workers to use OO, but not LyX / LaTeX.

Hope this clarifies my suggestion and gives a usefull usage example,

Cheers,

Rainer

• Henrik Just

Henrik Just - 2010-11-05

Hi Rainer

That's an interesting idea. I wonder in which form LyX will import track changes information?

Best regards
    Henrik

• Rainer M. Krug

Rainer M. Krug - 2010-11-10

Sorry for not coming back to you earlier, but I was away.

I am not that knowledge in the internals in LyX, but I will forward our conversation to the LyX mailing list, and to see if one can get something very useful going. If you send me your email address I could c you in the responses.

Cheers,

Rainer

• Rainer M. Krug

Rainer M. Krug - 2010-11-15

Hi Henrik

I am still add it - I should be able to send you some useful info by this afternoon.

Cheers,

Rainer

• Rainer M. Krug

Hi Henrik,

here is some info:

Lyx uses two LaTeX macros, namely \lyxadded and \lyxdeleted to ad the track changes.
    below is a small example.

Unfortunately, when the LaTeX file is re-imported into LyX, these changes are not converted into LyX track changes but kept as LaTeX boxes, which is fine for the moment - I will look at that.

For flexibility, I would actually suggest a system similar to the comments (which are working nicely!), i.e. that you have different options how to convert track changes, and LyX ( \lyxadded and \lyxdeleted) would be one of them.

One could even introduce one additional option, so that other relevant options are set to be optimised for usage with LyX.

Cheers,

Rainer

%% LyX 1.6.7 created this file.  For more info, see http://www.lyx.org/.
    %% Do not edit unless you really know what you are doing.
    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{fontenc}
    \usepackage{inputenc}
    \usepackage{xcolor}
    \usepackage{pdfcolmk}
    \PassOptionsToPackage{normalem}{ulem}
    \usepackage{ulem}

\makeatletter

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% LyX specific LaTeX commands.
    \providecolor{lyxadded}{rgb}{0,0,1}
    \providecolor{lyxdeleted}{rgb}{1,0,0}
    %% Change tracking with ulem
    \newcommand{\lyxadded}{{\color{lyxadded}{}#3}}
    \newcommand{\lyxdeleted}{{\color{lyxdeleted}\sout{#3}}}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.
    \makeatother

\makeatother

\usepackage{babel}

\begin{document}

\section{Linking effectively research and management}

One \lyxdeleted{Dr Rainer M. Krug}{Mon Nov 15 10:54:54 2010}{IMPORTANT}
    \lyxadded{Dr Rainer M. Krug}{Mon Nov 15 10:54:57 2010}{important }aspect
    of research in invasion biology.
    \end{document}

• Rainer M. Krug

Just a quick update - the import into LyX is in the pipeline to be added.

Cheers,

Rainer

• Henrik Just

Henrik Just - 2010-11-21

Hi Rainer

Thanks for the info about LyX. I have put change tracking on the list for the next version of Writer2LaTeX. I will of course design the export to support several formats.

Best regards
    Henrik

• Rainer M. Krug

Rainer M. Krug - 2010-11-22

Hi Hanrik,

sounds perfect.
    Looking forward to that,

Cheers,

Rainer

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks