Menu

can't use my own directory to download

2022-04-27
2022-05-01
  • David Chmelik

David Chmelik - 2022-04-27

I've been downloading since before OSs created user subdirectories, so don't have Downloads/; I simply want to download to /home/user directory but WireShare says "can't save it"--doesn't need to--already exists. Please enable users to download where they choose. Is there a current/development/testing version uploaded to a version control system that does this or could soon, that I could download?

Last edit: David Chmelik 2022-04-28
    • BigJx

BigJx - 2022-04-27

The download directory can be set by navigating to Tools>Options>Transfers. There, you can select the location to save the files you download and you can even configure different locations based on file type.

• David Chmelik

David Chmelik - 2022-04-28

I already said I selected (as you explained) /home/user but WireShare "can't save it." However when I tried again and didn't delete /home/user/WireShare I was able to select /home/user . However I see all my shares are just in one very long list, which is inefficient--a lot of stuff should remain as directories, and once, for sharing thousands of free audio samples for making music, I was classified as a spammer on GNUtella for having too many files of same type... that's why GNUtella should use directories... I could also just share the archive files for those (instead of original files) but I'll have to see. An improvement in later p2p programs is they let you download entire directories (more efficient.)

Last edit: David Chmelik 2022-04-28
  • me me

me me - 2022-05-01

Have you checked the permissions of the /home/user directory?

I don’t think it’s possible to use /home/user directory for downloads. It’s been years since I tested these kinds of things but from memory MacOS does not allow it. It must be a directory within /home/user. So I guess it’s not totally surprising to hear this might also be the case for linux. For macos from the Finder point of view, it needs to be Users/Account_Name/Sub-directory. Everything above that level is Read Only.

The /home/user directory sounds like a messy way to download files, mixed in with large numbers of other files and folders.
    I think the default is /home/user/WireShare/Saved.
    Something I've noticed about GTK-Gnutella users are a percentage accidentally share system related or other junky types of files.

Somewhat off-topic but my main LimeWire/WireShare has not used the system drive since LimeWire v 4.0
    As BigJx pointed out you can also have file-types directed wherever you wish. I've had them going to at least 3 different hdd drives in the past.

Edit: By default, WireShare does not share zip/archive files if you are saving your samples as archives. This needs to be configured in the Configure Unsafe Sharing settings option > Programs > What are programs (sub-link.)

With LimeWire 4 you could manually add/remove alternate extensions to share. WireShare does not give this option. If you are aware of an extension not on the list such as the audio list, let us know because BigJx can potentially have it added as a shareable in a newer release.

Last edit: me me 2022-05-01