window doesn't exist in constructor

Help
2004-11-17
2013-04-15
  • Steven Weiss

Steven Weiss - 2004-11-17

hi,
    i created a dialog and want to pass the dialog to a functor. because i didn't find a function which converts the dialog to a wnd<> i took a look to get_active_wnd() and found out that it's implemented with find_by_hwnd(). ergo i tried this code:

AbfrageDlg::AbfrageDlg()
    {           
       for_each( theDocument().begin(), theDocument().end(), boost::bind(&AbfrageDlgImpl::InsertCharakterPair, find_by_hwnd(raw_hwnd()), _1) );
    }

but an exception will be thrown in get_window_anythread()

saying that the window doesn't exist...but you promised the window still exists in the constructor ;-). i guess the registration of the window to the global list of all windows is somehow broken???

btw is there any function which gets a wnd<> from actual window classes? and if not, it would be nice to have one =)

mfg steven

• John Torjo

John Torjo - 2004-11-17

The window exists, only that find_by_wnd won't find it yet - because it's not fully constructed (that is, you're inside its constructor)

Instead of find_by_wnd(raw_hwnd()), use '*this'

Best,
      John

Note: I will look into your other posts as well - somewhere (hopefully) this week.

• John Torjo

John Torjo - 2004-11-17

"btw is there any function which gets a wnd<> from actual window classes? and
      if not, it would be nice to have one =)"

Not sure what you mean. Please give an example. Thanks.

Best,
      John

• Steven Weiss

the reason i wrote the code above is that *this didn't work...

for_each( theDocument().begin(), theDocument().end(), boost::bind(&AbfrageDlgImpl::InsertCharakterPair, *this, _1) );

this code didn't compile. the InsertCharakterPair() is declared like this:

struct AbfrageDlgImpl
      {
      static void InsertCharakterPair(wnd<> dlg, const CharakterzugPair& charakterZugPair);
      }

so i had to find a way to get a wnd<> from my dialog and the find_by_wnd() seemed to be the solution. i use v1.5.1

• John Torjo

John Torjo - 2004-11-17

Two workarounds:

- You can do this in your event hander's on_full_create() function (see link below)
        (in this case, you know your dialog class is fully cosntructed, and this is what I recommend)
        - in InsertCharakterPair function, make dlg a window_base* pointer:

void InsertCharakterPair(YourDlgClass* dlg,...)

(http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/doc/event_handling.html#event_handler_creation)

Best,
        John

• Steven Weiss

thank you, that's it!

greetz steven

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks