Menu

WillowTree stopped 'seeing' my sav files

Help
2013-05-12
2013-05-13
  • Woodtortiose

Woodtortiose - 2013-05-12

Hello,
    I've been using WT for a while now (fantastic program btw) without problems until a few days ago. I opened WT and went to open my sav, it found the right folder but nothing inside it. The sav files were definetely there and I hadn't made any changes, so I'm not sure what happened. i should also note that since this problem occurred, i installed and played Borderlands 2. I downloaded the savegame editor for b2 (gibbed I think), and I'm having the same issue with that program and game, which makes me think that the problem isnt necessarily with WT, but i was hoping someone here might recognise this issue. I'm on win7 32bit, I have 3.5 and 4.0 net framework. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Oh yeah, I'm using version WillowTree#-2.2.1.102

Last edit: Woodtortiose 2013-05-12
  • matt911

matt911 - 2013-05-12

Hmm perhaps you've just forgotten the location of the savegame files and you are looking in the wrong folder even though you think its the right one. Savegames for the original Borderlands game (PC) should be located by default in one of these folders:

Windows 8 - C:\Users\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\SaveData
    Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\SaveData

I'm not sure which of these paths Windows 7 uses. Its probably the same as Windows 8, but I don't have Windows 7 so I can't tell you for sure. If somehow you have no saved games in that folder you should look around and see if perhaps you accidentally dragged them into another folder.

Note that savedgames are per-user. Each user has his own My Documents folder so if you are not logged into the same Windows account you were when you played before you won't be able to see your savegames.

If you cannot locate your saved games any other way I suggest logging in as Administrator (since administrator can see all users files), opening the Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer) then using the file search feature to search the entire drive for the filename Save0001.sav which should be the name of the first Borderlands savegame file unless you deleted it. If you can't find it, then you may look in your computer's Recycle Bin to see if you deleted it on accident. If it is there you may un-delete it.

• Woodtortiose

Woodtortiose - 2013-05-12

Nope, I know exactly where the files are, I'm the only user on this computer and I'm always logged in as administrator. I've even tried copying the sav files to the desktop and opening it from there with no luck. I've even tried right clicking on a sav file, clicking 'open with' and navigating to the folder I have willowtree in, but the exe doesnt show up, or any of the other files for that matter.

Last edit: Woodtortiose 2013-05-12
  • matt911

matt911 - 2013-05-13

Well its possible that your savegame files don't have the .SAV extension because you renamed them or something like that. WillowTree# will list all the files with the .SAV extension only I think. When you open the load savegame dialog, type *.* in the filename box and see if that enables you to see your files. If it does then they probably don't end with .SAV. Windows hides the file extension for known extensions by default so a file that looks at first glance like FILE.SAV may be FILE.SAV.BAK or FILE.SAV.RAR.

If that's not it then I have no clue what your problem could be. I've not received any reports of being unable to see the sav files and just about everyone that has ever used the software must use the open file dialog.

Last edit: matt911 2013-05-13