Borderlands 2

Farid Cure
2012-09-18
2013-05-08
  • Farid Cure

Farid Cure - 2012-09-18

Hey there! Sorry for the noob question, but i looked in google and the site and i wasn't able to find anything.

With borderlands 2 out now, is there any planning or even an incline in maybe having a WT# for it? I love the game and can't wait to beat it, but onces i do, i would love to mess with it in WT# just like i did in the 1st one.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you soon. :)

• Racoon SilverMoon

For matt911, I don't know.

For me, I doubt it. Need to work full time as everybody on earth. I also have many games and personals projects that accumulate the dust :-o…

• matt911

matt911 - 2012-09-18

It'll take someone more skilled at reverse engineering than me to do it probably, so I don't have any plans for that at the moment.  The first one was somewhat easy to make a savegame editor for because there were no checksums, file hashes, encryption, or even compression used on the savegame file.  A person could just analyze the file, figure out what the numbers are, and edit them.  Borderlands also stored its data files in the unreal engine 3 package format which people had a chance to analyze for several years so there were some existing tools to help with retrieving the game data.

I suspect they wont make the same mistake with the savegame in this one and the new game also uses Unreal Engine 4 for its data instead of UE3 which may well have a different package format.  UE2 did have a different format from UE3, so I suspect the same.   Adding those security things won't stop savegame editors from being made, but it means that reverse engineering of Borderlands itself may have to be done to discover the protection methods being used and it may take time for people to make tools to interpret the new Unreal Engine 4 data formats.  Reverse engineering and tracing machine code requires a different skill set than analyzing file formats does.   Analyzing file formats is something I'm good at and it is all that was required with Borderlands, but I have minimal skill in reverse engineering machine code.

I guarantee you though whether anyone here writes one or not there will be a savegame editor for Borderlands 2.  There is a savegame editor for every popular game pretty much.  The only question is how long it will take, not whether it will come into being.

• matt911

matt911 - 2012-09-19

Looks like Borderlands 2 uses Unreal Engine 3, not UE4.  I thought I had read somewhere that it was using UT4, but apparently not. 

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_2

According to Epic Games, their game Fortnite will be the first game to use the Unreal Engine 4.

• JamesMDenton

JamesMDenton - 2012-09-23

I'm sure you're getting this a lot, but please make Willow Tree for BL2, I can't tell you how much more enjoyable it makes the game for many of us.

And I'm sure many of us would be willing to lend any assistance we can, even financial if needed.

Thanks for all you've done already, and here's to more! =)

• Racoon SilverMoon

Matt911, bring a free tester contract for jamesmdenton :) !

• TheStygianAngel

TheStygianAngel - 2012-09-23

Yes I'm sure a lot of the modding community would help in any way to get a new willowtree, I mean for one willowtree was an amazingly well developed save editor for borderlands. So that already would catch people's attention if you were to make a willowtree for borderlands 2. Also If you do need some form of advertisement or another to let people know about a second willowtree should you decide to make one. I can help out with that. (or if it's just a simple donation but i really do like to advertise ;P)

• Kristofer

Kristofer - 2012-09-23

no offense but the first willow tree already recognizes that there is save data for borderlands 2, if i understand correctly all that needs to be done is a patch that allows willow tree to properly recognize the data of borderlands 2 so that it can edit the save data. granted i dont know how much work that is but id assume it would be the same if not less time as it took to get the first game seeing as from what i've gathered the game is formatted the same, if so its a matter of the same process right?

• JamesMDenton

JamesMDenton - 2012-09-24

Matt911, bring a free tester contract for jamesmdenton :) !

Absolutely, I'm incredibly methodical about testing(I do it scientifically for work). I wouldn't mind at all submitting bug reports and spending hours editing one thing at a time and testing, rinsing and repeating.

My email is my username at gmail.com.

• Anonymous - 2012-09-25

man i have no clue how to do any of this…ive looked around and the only reason i could play borderlands over 1500 hours is because of willowtree…it made it my favorite game of all time im just adding in another wish for willowtree on borderlands 2!       >.<

• Gbps

Gbps - 2012-09-26

Hey Matt911 or any other project leader for this, a friend of mine really likes Willowtree and is sad that there is no new version for Borderlands 2. I saw this comment about your need for someone with reverse engineering experience and I thought I would offer some assistance, as I have been reverse engineering for awhile, especially with games. On top of that, I have a reputable knowledge of C#. Maybe I can be of help to creating a Willowtree for BL2?

Gbps

• Anonymous - 2012-09-26

Hey Matt911 or any other project leader for this, a friend of mine really likes Willowtree and is sad that there is no new version for Borderlands 2. I saw this comment about your need for someone with reverse engineering experience and I thought I would offer some assistance, as I have been reverse engineering for awhile, especially with games. On top of that, I have a reputable knowledge of C#. Maybe I can be of help to creating a Willowtree for BL2?

^^^ hey guys i would honestly help with the interface and easy menu's and stuff. or like general set up, im good at organizing and making this way less complicated, also if anyone to get real about such a project i will help in any ways possible. email me at dakotarhea@gmail.com especially you gbps if you want to get serious and know how to make such a trainer/modding tool. matt911 you guys would be willing to help out if we had any novice questions? i for one am very serious about making this, or helping. it extended my love for borderlands by so much. i had 1500+ hours on borderlands 1 and i modded allot of LEGIT weapons into my save, im kinda OCD so my organization and clean interface/ menu's may help in a final public appearance.

• Dakota Rhea

Dakota Rhea - 2012-09-26

hey sorry about that, i was logged into my google account on here, the https://www.google.com/accounts guy is me. yea inbox me gbps! i really hope to work on this. i know some people are working or already modding the crap out of xbox and pc, but i play ps3. and the appeal of willowtree was that it was a cross system program. and as of now ps3 has zer0 modding going on. also anyone reading this thread if you have any skills that may pertain to a final project please make and account or email me!

• Kyle873

Kyle873 - 2012-09-26

So I got directed to this a little bit ago:

http://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArIrXCpgI-vFdDB5Q1gwZ0JPRGgyMTNTQnVMS2hPWlE&gid=0

This is definitely a step in the right direction. Now, if someone could figure out the encryption, I MIGHT be able to be of some use as I'm fairly familiar with C# and might be able to work on a new editor with the help of someone else that can help find values in the save files.

• Kyle873

Kyle873 - 2012-09-26

Ah, it seems I missed a few replies.

I think maybe some of us should exchange a few emails and maybe find a central place to talk about this, as it seems there is quite an interest in bringing WillowTree up to speed with BL2.

• Kyle873

Kyle873 - 2012-09-26

Hey jamesmdenton, are you Dentonite from the GB forums by any chance? :P

• Racoon SilverMoon

Well, I didn't see any modded weapon from the game.  How the hell can we validate if they really injected modded weapon in the game file ?

But yea, in theory it possible. In practice… did someone was able to read BL2 files (with security), add something (modded gun / weapon) and close it without breaking file.  I'm skeptical.

• David R Mayfield

There are already editors and trainers out there for Borderlands 2, but I would prefer to have a WillowTree one.
    My understanding is some things are limited in the new game. Like the HQ Bank in Sanctuary will be reset to 40 slots by the game, no matter how many slots it is edited to be that. A bummer, if true.

Ax

• Anthony Roberts

Anthony Roberts - 2012-10-09

If you need funds to make up for lost time on the computer to build the program for BL2 you could create a online fund raiser that people can donate money towards.