Anonymous - 2013-04-17

Well maybe you're losing patience with me.

No, I am happy to cover a lot use cases.

I can't make it work though. clearnet $ curl 127.0.0.1:9050 works, but curl 192.168.11.13:9050 does not. Oddly I can set the browser proxy in Workstation to 192.168.11.13:9050 and it works. (as long as I don't kill/restart the browser) Something's queer.

Well, curl does not what you think it does. That's why I already linked the [Stream Isolation] page and the design pages. When I link stuff, I expect people to read it. Before going creative, I recommend to read how Whonix is actually glued together.

Try.

which curl

Check it out.

nano /usr/local/bin/curl

Either.

sudo chmod -x /usr/local/bin/curl

Or use.

/usr/bin/curl

What I am trying to do is set the Gateway up as a Tor appliance for the whole network, as described above.

In that case, I'd use a physically isolated Whonix-Gateway. See [PhysicalIsolation]. That would be so much safer.

What I am trying to do is set the Gateway up as a Tor appliance for the whole network, as described above.

What is the point of using Whonix then anyway?

• Installing a Debian VM, installing Tor, setting up the network to your linking. Most (any?) Whonix features don't really come into play when using it like this.
  • Or, just install plain Tor on the host and don't use VMs. What's the point of using VMs for that use case anyway?

Other than that, the [AccessGatewayPortFromHost] page. That should work well. Did you try it?

As for using bridged networking, that's a separate issue. I still don't see any convincing argument to use it at all. It depends on local network settings (router), while NAT doesn't.