FTP in Whonix?

Anonymous
2013-07-19
2013-07-22
  • Anonymous - 2013-07-19

Do anyone get FTP access working in Whonix?

I tried with Filezilla and Socks 5 settings.

With 3 different ftp servers, allways the same, in the beginning (ServerIP, Password) everything looks to working fine, but than I got the error that it is not able to open the directory.

Is this a Tor problem or an Tor exit block or a Whonix Problem?

Any solution?

• Anonymous - 2013-07-22

I tried it and it works fine.

Do you think I can use it on this way, or is the "TrackHostExits" option dangerous in any case?

Also one of the webhosters do not support sftp, so the logging details will be send in plain text. Is this an totaly nogo in tor, or do you think most exit nodes are trustfull in the tor network?
    Itś only a small website with some informations on a webhoster, so no real access to the server, only to the www directory. No forum or shop or something like this is hostet, so Iḿ not sure how big is the interest to sniff the ftp loggin details for such webhoster sites?

• adrelanos

adrelanos - 2013-07-22

Do you think I can use it on this way, or is the "TrackHostExits" option dangerous in any case?

I only know what the Tor manual says about it:
    https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en

It doesn't sound so bad, but I would hesitate to recommend it for everyone. If there is some tracking code on that page (google analytics etc.), you could stand out from other Tor users and are therefore be pseudonymous rather than anonymous. I'd consider reloading(!) Tor (with a script) to enable/disable this feature when required. Or using a separate Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation.

Usually, not in this case, its sufficient to use multiple Whonix-Workstations to separate identities better, but in this case, since Tor settings are different, it would require separate Whonix-Gateways. Which I am not eager to recommend either, since you'd have two sets of entry guards.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks