WfmOpen on GlassFish V2

Help
JoyA
2007-11-20
2013-01-10
  • JoyA

JoyA - 2007-11-20

Hi all

Please give me instructions (or link to) how I can (if it possible) deploy WfmOpen on Glassfish V2.

Thanks.

• Michael Lipp

Michael Lipp - 2007-11-20

I have both good news and bad news for you. The good news is that we are currently porting WfMOpen to Glassfish, the bad news is that we have not finished yet.

Looking at HEAD, you'll find most pieces in place. What took us really long was getting the JSF components working again. You can't use MyFaces with Glassfish (looking at the spec, Glassfish is right about this, the implementation provided by the application server takes precedence over the implementation coming wit a WAR) and our portlet/JSF bridge was dependent on MyFaces. But this is solved now. There remain some issues with configuration of the engine itself and installer support.

The real problem is that I have been assigned higher priority tasks and this has prevented me from finishing the port. We are still trying to convince one of our customers to use Glassfish instead of JBoss and until this has been accomplished, there is no real commercial pressure for the port. (It seems that JBoss is by now on every company's list of accepted software components and Glassfish is not (yet)).

So it will still be a few weeks until the Glassfish port is finished, but it should definitely be available before end of this year.

- Michael

• JoyA

JoyA - 2007-11-20

Hi Michael

>... But this is solved now. There remain some issues with configuration of the engine itself and installer support.

it sound like "workflow engine can be deployed on GF, but sample client applications NO" ?

• Michael Lipp

Michael Lipp - 2007-11-20

Close. This was the situation about four weeks ago. Meanwhile we have solved the sample client application issues and some engine issues remain. Of course, we thought about solving all engine related issues first. But then we found that having the administrative portlets would help us solve the engine side issues, so we "switched over" and are now ready to switch back to engine again.

Status is that deployment works and most tests run through. However, there are still some configuration issues. As an example, a client can register with the workflow service if it wants to receive events during process execution. To implement this in J2EE, you need on the client side access to the JMS Topic that propagates the events. Traditionally, JBoss does not provide a client container, so you cannot easily specify a mapping between a logical ConnectionFactory name and the global JNDI ConnectionFactory name. The client therefore obtains the ConnectionFactory name from the server. The server retrieves the name from a JNDI environment entry. This must be set correctly.

I assume that there are just a handful of open issues like this and then everything runs smoothly.

- Michael

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks