Wepcrackgui in 64-bit Debian

Help
Joe Bloe
2010-12-28
2013-05-28
  • Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe - 2010-12-28

Hi there. First of all, amazing program! Thank you for the effort.

I have been using Linux Mint for a while (based on Ubuntu) and have simply been able to download and use the binaries. I'd like to switch to Linux Mint Debian Edition and played around on a live cd boot for a bit to see if I could get things set up. I managed to compile everything properly (including MDK3 and crunch), but when I run wepcrackgui I get a message saying that it could not put the wifi card into monitor mode.

I did not receive any specific error messages pointing me to any solution. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? I'd really appreciate the help. I've got things working well in Linux Mint 9, but was hoping to switch over soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• criser

criser - 2010-12-29

If the debug output does not give you any meaningful hints, Try to set the card into monitor mode manually and see if it works.

airmon-ng wlan0 start

Replace wlan0 with the name of your interface.

• Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe - 2010-12-29

Thanks. Will try that when I get a chance. Thinking back, I think I might have had this issue with Linux Mint 9 64-bit, but not the 32-bit. I'll have to play around and see when I get the chance.
    I'll let you know the result.

• Joe Bloe

Joe Bloe - 2010-12-30

Update: getting a little closer. Turns out I had to install the iw drivers to get the card into monitor mode. I manage to get wepcrackgui working, but once I associate to the AP, my wireless card goes connects to a normal connection, and I'm unable to inject packets.

I'll update with any changes I have to make in order to get things to work.

• criser

criser - 2011-01-01

Depending on the specific chipset of your card, you may have to take special steps to enable injection. Best read in the aircrack-ng wiki.

• gidiara

gidiara - 2011-06-13

All cracked keys hide after closing program. In previous edition (0.8) in any time when open program I could see cracked key. Why now not? 

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks