From: Stephan Diehl <stephan.diehl@gm...> - 2001-11-22 11:52:45
the last days there was a lot going on on
A lot of ideas are about full fledged application while others consist of
building blocks for such application.
There is an agreement that WebwareUserManager is one of the most important
Then there are a huge number of ideas that can be described as some sort of
Content/Document/Knowledge Management System. It might be helpfull to define
these ideas more rigorous as all of these terms are used as "buzzwords" by a
lot of marketing strategies.
I see these Applications (or modules) in a hierachical order:
- management of any data
- import/export of data
- authentication mechanism
- version control
- categorising data
- is a Content Management system
- the content consists of human readable files/documents
- has filter for import/export/view
- has workflow rules included
- has adapter for third party tools (for example text processing tools)
- has integrated search engine
- is a Document Management System
- allows links
- includes something like RDF, Topic Maps,...
- includes expert system (?)
Of the proposed Apps, I'd see the following classification:
Document Management: WebwareDocumentManagement, WebwareForum, WebwareMail,
Knowledge Management: WebwareVault, WebwareWiki, WebwareSourceforge
I'll create a topic WebwareXManagement to discuss these ideas. I'd be very
interested what you think about all of this.