Correct setup for german / umlauts ?

A. Schulz
2013-09-21
2013-09-27
  • A. Schulz

A. Schulz - 2013-09-21

Hello,

I haven't found any information elsewhere, and the forum search did not help either, so I hope someone can help me out...

I'm new to WebCalendar and am having some issues with german umlauts. If I create an event and enter text with umlauts (short/long description, event location etc.) all fields are empty if I open the event later on, e.g. to edit it. The event appears on the month view with only the time, no description or title.

What did I miss when setting up WebCalendar? Do I have to change some setting for this to work?

Thanks in advance for any hints!

• A. Schulz

A. Schulz - 2013-09-25

Hello again,

doesn't anyone have a helpful suggestion for me?

Thanks!

• dallasdinosaur

dallasdinosaur - 2013-09-26

I suspect umlauts require UTF-8 charset. Ensure you're selecting the appropriate "Language" in preferences (should be language where charset: UTF-8 in the translations file). If you need, say an English translations file that uses UTF-8, go to includes/translations, find English-US.txt and create a new one that utilizes UTF-8, modifying charset: accordingly.

• Max Headroom

Max Headroom - 2013-09-27

Hmmmmmm,

there are more than 1 possibilty solving this problem ...

1.) did you checked the "collation" of you database ..... suggest to "utf8_gernerl_ci"
    2.) as "dallasdinosaur" posted, check the proper adjustments general to "German-Utf8" at the "systemsettings" and for existing users at "preferences" at the Webcalendar.
    3.) I had a similar problem as you mentioned. My solution was adding an entry at the root directory of the Webcalendar ..... hope you had an ".htaccess" file there .... edit this one and insert the line:
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    4.) "German.txt" and "German_utf8.txt" should be exist in translation - directory (an updated version for WebCalendar 1.2.7 can be found at:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/webcalendar/patches/606/

kind regards
    -Markus

• A. Schulz

A. Schulz - 2013-09-27

Thanks for the info - I'll try them out and post the results here.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks