add @domain.com to login automatically

Usermin
EagleLink
2007-08-06
2013-05-21
  • EagleLink

EagleLink - 2007-08-06

Hi, I'd like to know if it is possible to automatically add the host name to the login when a person logs into usermin.  I know on the login page it shows the host name that you connected to.  For example, when I go to http://mail.domain.com it shows in the login box "Webmin server on mail.domain.com."  But if I set apache to redirect mail.domain.com on port 80 to domain.com on 10000, then it would show the host as domain.com.  Because I host multiple domains, my usernames are user@domain.com, and so it requires you to type the whole thing in when you log in to check your e-mail.  I'd like to be able to set it to automatically add the @domain.com to the user name when logging in.  If someone could tell me how to do this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

• Joe Cooper

Joe Cooper - 2007-08-07

Yes, this is possible, though you probably don't want to do it based on domain name.

More useful, usually, is to use the /etc/postfix/virtual or sendmail generics file to map the real username to the user@domain.tld.

For Postfix, you'd do the following:

Browse to Webmin:Usermin Configuration:Usermin Module Configuration:Read Mail page

Locate the option labeled From: address mapping file, and set it to /etc/postfix/virtual

Locate the option labeled Address mapping file format, and set it to Address to username (virtusertable)

Save it.

In Sendmail, the file would be /etc/generics or /etc/sendmail/generics, and the format would be "Username to address".

• gandolf

gandolf - 2009-03-16

ps... i do NOT like to use the @domain as part of the login name because then the email is then the username which then gives hackers at least a start. for usermin, we are talking about system users, not virtual users confined to email. i hope you have that straight. (if i am in error, plz correct me).

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE, is the USER LOGIN NAME at the top of the screen in white against the blue back (caldera styled)

• EagleLink

EagleLink - 2007-08-09

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are saying, or perhaps you didn't fully understand what I was saying.  You are talking about mapping a real username to username@host.  since I have multiple domains, the settings for creating a user in virtualmin are set to make them as username@host.  So username@host IS the real user name.  Also, I do not use Postfix, just sendmail.  Should I be using postfix?  Would that be hard to switch over to after already using sendmail?

Jeff

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks