Password-Protecting Directories

Webmin
Christiana
2013-08-05
2013-08-05
  • Christiana

Christiana - 2013-08-05

We have a domain that utilizes WebMin's password protection (via an .htaccess and .htpassword file). What we need just got a little more complex than I know how to handle...

1) We have a list of users who need to log in at the domain level. I set that up and it works great.

2) We have only 3 members who should ALSO be allowed into another subdirectory (/supervisors) - but just those 3. I added a separate "special" login to that folder and that works fine as well.

3) Now here's the dilemma: We have 5 more people who should ONLY be allowed into one separate subdirectory (/packages), even though the other whole list of folks needs to get in there too. These 5 people need to be denied access to all other levels of the site. We definitely don't want to be prompting our existing users to enter their same user/pass a second time, but I feel like my only option is to set up all of our existing users, plus these new 5, in this subdirectory (which starts asking the main group to enter theirs twice instead of just letting them in, knowing they're already OK from the parent directory).

Is there some easier way to accomplish this that I'm probably missing?

Thanks for any help,
    Christiana

• Christiana

Christiana - 2013-08-05

I think we have found a way to work around this internally. Thank you all though!