can't be root

Webmin
2007-04-06
2013-05-21
  • craigbass76

craigbass76 - 2007-04-06

I've set up webmin for a client who uses a dedicated server.  The company who owns the box set up a root2 account, but doesn't want them to use the regular root account and has not given them the password.  root2 has all the privs of root, so if I could log into webmin with the root2 account I'd be golden.  How do I set up webmin (edit a conf file or something?  webmin.acl looks promising) so that root2 can log in?  I can not log in at all right now, so have to do this in the command line.

• d elleray

d elleray - 2007-04-06

ok let us ass.u.me (well you know what that means) you have webmin elsewhere

then you can have a webmin account setup on that system  which is not a unix account but with a known password.

so create one (newid) in your working webmin and cut and paste the line in /etc/webmin/miniserv.users containing that user id/password into the same file on the new system.

you will also need a line entry in /etc/webmin/webmin.acl (which tells webmin what the newid user can do)

d.

• craigbass76

craigbass76 - 2007-04-06

I copied the root stuff in both instances, but not at the same time...  I'll try that.  I'll do the "other webmin setup" thing first (I set it up at my house to give 'er a whirl) and see how close I came.  Thanks a bunch.

• craigbass76

craigbass76 - 2007-04-06

Still no love.  I even grepped around the test box for files that changed (in the /etc/webmin dir) and found that the corresponding ones on the box I'm trying to make work are identical in format.

• craigbass76

craigbass76 - 2007-04-06

Is there a way to run the files in /usr/libexec/webmin... from a command line?  Maybe that would work.  I can't seem to get it the way dellray described.

• craigbass76

craigbass76 - 2007-04-07

ok, I got word (thanks Mr. Cameron) and all I had to do was replace root in miniserv.users and webmin.acl with root2.