MX-21.2 KDE: webmin 2.000 installer crashes dpkg and apt-get

Webmin
thorsten
2022-09-08
2022-09-08
  • thorsten

thorsten - 2022-09-08

Hi there

I am installing webmin 2.000 on MX-21.2 KDE. I have tried all three installation methods: with APT, .deb and .tar. All three methods fail. I had to completely restore my system after each trial.

With APT repository, and also with .deb, either apt-get or dpkg get stuck at the message "Unpacking webmin...". Afterwards, the whole package management system is broken.

When I go through the procedure specific to .tar, the installation comes to an end, BUT the (re)start of the webmin server fails. When I try /etc/webmin/start, I get the message that the system wasn't booted with systemd (which is probably true but doesn't actually tell me anything).

What am I doing wrong?

Tx,

t.

Last edit: thorsten 2022-09-08
    • Gentle

Gentle - 2022-09-08

This message means you need to reboot the system before you can add programs to it
      This is mandatory

On 8 Sep 2022 at 10:13, thorsten wrote:

Hi there
      I am installing webmin 2.000 on MX-21.2 KDE. I have tried all three installation methods: with
      APT, .deb and .tar. All three methods fail.
      With APT repository, and also with .deb, either apt-get or dpkg get stuck at the message
      "Unpacking webmin...". Afterwards, the whole package management system is broken.
      When I go through the procedure specific to
      .tar, the installation comes to an end, BUT the
      (re)start or the webmin server fails. When I try /etc/webmin/start, I get the message that the
      system wasn't booted with systemd (which is probably true but doesn't actually tell me anything).
      What am I doing wrong?
      Tx,
      t.

MX-21.2 KDE: webmin 2.000 installer crashes dpkg and apt-get

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/webadmin/discussion/600155/
      To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Ilia Ross

Ilia Ross - 2022-09-08

You're not doing anything wrong, we just don't support MXLinux (yet).

• thorsten

thorsten - 2022-09-08

AFAIK, MX uses systemctl, not systemd

• Ilia Ross

Ilia Ross - 2022-09-08

I see. Can you start Webmin using /etc/webmin/.start-init command?

• thorsten

thorsten - 2022-09-08

... we just don't support MXLinux (yet)?
    Well, not really. webmin 1.9xx was running nicely on MX for months/years, and even 2.000 still does (on another system of mine). I just can't get to install it from scratch on my laptop, whatever I try, and have no clue why this is.

Last edit: thorsten 2022-09-08