Menu

no option to mount windows share

Webmin
2011-11-07
2021-01-08
  • Leo Boucher

Leo Boucher - 2011-11-07

There should be an option to mount a Windows share using Webmin, but I am not seeing one.  This is on one machine running Fedora 15 and the other running Fedora 14. 

The samba client is installed on both machines and recent versions of Webmin on both. 

What is missing that this option is not here?

Thanks,

Leo

• phil

phil - 2012-02-17

I think I am having the same issue. No "Windows Network Filesystem" option in the menu under System->Disk and Network Filesystems next to "Add mount" button. smbclient is installed
    Running Webmin 1.580 on ubuntu 10.04.

• pilovis

pilovis - 2012-02-22

I have the same problem, before upgrading to 1.580 I had the "Windows Network Filesystem" option, but it disappeared with 1.580 new release.

I think they do not test enough the new versions before releasing them, that's bad since webmin is not for newbies but for professionals that cannot afford having such problems.

We need stable releases.

Thanks.

• Alan P

Alan P - 2012-05-01

I found this thread when I hit the same issue rebuilding an Ubuntu server from scratch. It turns out that webmin will not offer the "windows network filessytem" as a mountable option unless the package smbfs is installed. I just grabbed it with synaptic and it now works fine.

• FatherJack

FatherJack - 2015-03-03

Had the same issue and smbfs is now replaced with cifs-utils.

You can connect using the CIFS option in System->Disk and Network Filesystems now.

• Alex

Alex - 2017-04-15

Same problem here, no "windows network filessytem" :(
    even after executing "sudo apt-get install cifs-utils"

• Ton Plomp

Ton Plomp - 2021-01-08

It showed up after I restarted webmin