Menu

Install on server with live site

Help
arnold
2016-01-11
2016-01-12
  • arnold

arnold - 2016-01-11

We've got a server on debian hosing a WordPress site which is live.
    Rackspace leaves you to install whatever web admin panel you choose via command line, no support.
    I'm looking at installing Webmin, but I'm concerned about doing it with a live site up and running.
    1. will it kill my production sever and existing site.
    2. If it doesn't will Webmin "see" and manage the already installed site?

Sorry for the noob question. I'm a noob.

Thanks,

Arnold

• Joe Cooper

Joe Cooper - 2016-01-12

Webmin is safe to install a any server, as it does not touch configuration files until you tell it to do something specifically.

Virtualmin would not be safe to install, using the automated installation script, as it performs a number of configuration steps that might alter your Apache configuration or other stuff.

Problem is, that you really want both. Webmin is a systems management UI. It is not a web hosting control panel. Virtualmin is the friendly frontend for web hosting tasks. Virtualmin is a collection of Webmin modules to make web hosting easier.

You could install it manually...but, that is extremely tedious and not at all a noob friendly process.

I think I'd recommend you backup your existing site data, install Virtualmin using the install script (it'll also install Webmin), and fix whatever goes wrong with your existing site, if anything. We can usually help with that kind of thing (post your questions to the Virtualmin.com forums, as it is much more active).