Daniel Dougan - 2021-12-22

Hello. I'm a noob with Webmin and largely with Linux in general, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to run the Filesystem backup from my Webmin/Debian server to my Synology server. They're on the same network for now, but my goal is to make the Synology server an offsite backup.

I set up a backup routine. The Running Backup Jobs listing shows that it's still running over a week later. That doesn't seem reasonable. I looked at the system logs, but nothing jumped out at me as obviously wrong.

Also, when I move the Synology NAS offsite, I'm not sure how I can connect to it from Debian. Right now, I can only enter the IP address of the Synology server from the local network. If I try to back up to the hostname, I get Error: Missing or invalid host to backup to.

Assuming I get my backups working locally using that IP address, sometimes those change. My Debian server has already changed IP addresses on my router after I had a power outage.

So, I need Debian to find the Synology server regardless of where it is and run a backup to it.

Last edit: Daniel Dougan 2021-12-23