#4160 Wrong zone deleted

closed-fixed
5
2012-10-27
2012-10-24
Steve Yates
No

Today I ran into a situation where Webmin 1.600 deleted the wrong zone. What I did:
- two zones existed, example.com and example.net
- used "Find zones matching" to search for "example"
- two zones were listed
- right click on one and open a new tab (so they are in two different tabs)
- delete each zone

What happened was that example.com was deleted and a completely different domain was deleted. The reason is because the buttons use the index number to delete the zones, so after deleting the first zone the index number was evidently pointing to a different zone. (i.e. all the indexes after the deleted one should have decreased by one).

I'm not sure how this could be prevented except either warning the user to start over after each deletion, or a rudimentary way could be to keep track of the total number of zones and if that changed since the form was generated, error out and start again. That's not perfect of course, if someone deletes aaa.example.com and adds zzz.example.com the count will remain the same, but it could be a double check that "something changed."

Discussion

  • Jamie Cameron

    Jamie Cameron - 2012-10-25

    Yes, you are correct in your explanation of how this can happen - the BIND module uses indexes instead of zone names, which can be broken by concurrent access. I will fix this in the next Webmin release..

     
  • Jamie Cameron

    Jamie Cameron - 2012-10-27

    A fix for this has been implemented, and will be in Webmin 1.610.

     
  • Jamie Cameron

    Jamie Cameron - 2012-10-27
    • status: open --> closed-fixed
     

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:

JavaScript is required for this form.





No, thanks