#3463 "Started now" reports wrong info

1.480
closed-fixed
5
2009-07-30
2009-07-30
KtO
No

Hello,

I'm using Webmin on Ubuntu server 9.10 and I've noticed that the "started now" info from this module is sometimes wrong depending on the action. Most of the time, it is stopped apps that are reported as started. This can be seen on the plugin mainpage and also on the "edit action" page.

From what I've been able to find it comes from the way action status are reported by the init.d action command. For exemple, "boinc-client" application will report its status like that :
" * Status of BOINC core client: not running" or " * Status of BOINC core client: running"
Notice that it is how action status is reported by the "lsb-base 4.0-0ubuntu0.9.04.1" package used in Ubuntu (cf. "status_of_proc" procedure in /lib/lsb/init-functions)

After some lookup in the plugin code, I've found that the regular expressions used to identify status in /usr/share/webmin/init/index.cgi were
if ($out =~ /running/i) {
or elsif ($out =~ /stopped/i) {
As "stopped" is mostly not used in debian/ubuntu, the plugin finds "running" in "not running" and reports the action as started.

I propose this fix for the regular expression :
/((?!not)... running)/i to identify "running" actions
and /(not running)|stopped/i to identify "not running/stopped" actions

Hope this is will help improve Webmin ! :)

Discussion

  • KtO

    KtO - 2009-07-30
    • summary: "Started now" column reports wrong info --> "Started now" reports wrong info
     
  • KtO

    KtO - 2009-07-30

    both webmin/init/index.cgi and also webmin/init/edit_action.cgi are concerned I think

     
  • Jamie Cameron

    Jamie Cameron - 2009-07-30

    Thanks for the information - I will fix this in the next Webmin release.

     
  • Jamie Cameron

    Jamie Cameron - 2009-07-30
    • status: open --> closed-fixed
     

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:





No, thanks