On AIX 5.3 (and probably other versions) the "Edit User" page changes the password expiry to the system default for users who have no password expiry.
This is annoying because Webmin administrators can accidentally add password expiries to service accounts simply by making any other change to the user account and saving the page.
The "Edit User" page does not display a field if it is null or 0. (This seems to be normal behaviour on all Webmin systems I've used.)
On AIX, password expiry is an integer in a value of weeks. The field "maxage" is used. A maxage of 0 represents no password expiry.
I believe the issue is to do with the way the AIX 'chuser' command behaves. It occurs because webmin passes an option to the command without a value if the value was previously '0'.
If you execute:
# chuser maxage=26 fred
The 'fred' account has a 26 week password expiry set.
# chuser maxage= fred
Sets the 'fred' account to have a system default password expiry. (This overrides whatever maximum age 'fred' had previously.)
I believe the issue occurs in webmin/useradmin/save_user.cgi. It is specifically in user-lib.pl.
Although I believe I've identified the issue, I'm no Perl coder. (I can barely read it in fact!) I would love it if somebody could fix this please.
I believe the solution could be to ensure that 'maxage' ('max' variable in user-lib.pl) is set to 0 if it was 0 when the edit_user.cgi page was loaded.
Log in to post a comment.