Since February last I am using Linux (Mandrake 9.1 at
this point). Early on I installed webmin (currently
version 1.070, installed from Mandrake rpm) strictly
for adminstering localhost. In fact I rarely use it.
But this week I had to take care of a few things and
su`d to root and fired up webmin. Since I use KDE
(3.1.2 texstar rpm`s) this launched Konqueror (v.
3.1.2) and I went about my business. Afterwards I
browsed through some unfamiliar pages within webmin
to see what was around. One or two of these loaded
extremely slowly (I have only a Pentium II @ 350 MHz)
and I cancelled loading these via the konqueror `Stop`
button. One of these was Gehrigal it the last tabsheet.
I then returned to the previous page via the konqueror
`back` button and normally exited from webmin via the
proper logout. I gracefully closed konqueror and exited
from the root console and was back at the user prompt.
To my surprise the command `ps -ef` advertised the fact
that root was still logged in with webmin: repeating
the command many minutes later gave the same picture.
Part of the output is
dvg 8390 7532 0 21:43 ? 00:00:00
kdeinit: kio_file file
root 8767 1 0 21:56 ? 00:00:00
root 8770 1 0 21:56 ? 00:00:00
kdeinit: dcopserver --nosid --suicide
root 8773 1 0 21:56 ? 00:00:00
root 8775 1 0 21:56 ? 00:00:02
root 8782 8767 0 21:56 ? 00:00:00
kdeinit: kio_file file
root 8855 1 0 21:57 ? 00:00:00
root 8856 8855 0 21:57 ? 00:00:00
root 8971 8855 0 21:58 ? 00:00:00
root 8972 8971 0 21:58 ? 00:00:01
dvg 8991 7532 1 21:59 ? 00:00:01
This picture remained unchanged for at least 10
minutes. I could only kill the webmin threads by
`su`ing in again and killing them.
I grant you that I shouldn`t, maybe, have started and
cancelled an action to call up e.g. gehrigal which I
know isn`t even on my system, but I was simply being
curious and it does prove, I believe, that webmin is
far from fool-proof.
After consulting more knowledgeable Linux users I
reproduced the above today and watched for the perl
script listening to active sockets and after having
already exited webmin, konqueror and the root console I
found with with netstat -l --tcp -p:
tcp 0 0 *:10000 *:* LISTEN
and with netstat -l --udp -p:
udp 0 0 *:10000 *:*
In my opinion (and the other users I contacted) the
webmin and perl threads should have closed sooner and
we believe it would be good if you addressed this
issue. Thanks beforehand and regards,
Log in to post a comment.