Menu

Any News on Development?

amrh
2007-06-07
2013-04-17
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • kwukduck

kwukduck - 2008-02-21

Alliance is very nice, though it can't be used on local networks (LAN) because it retrieves the external ip from their website, the friendcode generated includes that ip, thus not being able to connect localy.

hopefully this changes in some update (project appears to be dead, aswell as any other similar project... :S )

• Deman

Deman - 2008-02-23

Made a 'prerelease build' for testing the Status feature...
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=215539&package_id=260092&release_id=578914
    If anyone thinks he can make better icons for the statuses, I would appretiate the help (really not my thing). The icon files are included, if you want to test only you dont't need them.
    It's not perfect... If you get disconnected form your mesh, and your status changes, when you reconnect there will be a little incoherence in the statuses (until you change your status, or every 4 minutes there will be a silent status update) It's an ugly hack and I hope it's only temporary. Those who have older clients or yet to sent a status message, will show up as neutral (blue).
    Yeah the icons suck, in the release there will be improvement.

• kwukduck

kwukduck - 2008-02-24

@deman2,

can you improve waste transfer speed also?

• Deman

Deman - 2008-02-24

I will if I can... My priority was the user interface but this bugs me too.

• kwukduck

kwukduck - 2008-02-29

@deman2 (and everybody else)

I  just created a hosting spot on google code.
    Now, i'm not much of a coder myself, but i think waste is the only decent f2f application around that provides security essential to this big-brother time.

Therefore i called the project on google "waste-ng" (next generation)
    You can visit the site at :::  http://code.google.com/p/waste-ng/
    Primarily this is an invitation to all programmers interrested in developing waste, but ofcourse everybody who wants to help testing or whatever is welcome.

Join up, lets kick some waste!

• Deman

Deman - 2008-02-29

Why google? (if we are talking about big brother issues)
    Does it provide anything more then sf?
    I'm absolutely interested in rewriting WASTE, just not sure about this google-code thing.
    Also there might be a slight legal problem if you want to use parts of the old code under MIT license...

• kwukduck

kwukduck - 2008-02-29

You're right about google and big brother metaphore :)

But since it's an opensource project it doesn't realy matter i think.
    They host, they have nothing to do with the content or anything, i presume code will be available to the public and we put hash values with every binary thats downloadable there.

The reason i picked google was because it always works prety intuitive (opinion ofcourse) and it's way more popular then sourceforge.
    If you tell anybody not familiar with computers in general or programming about sourceforge they'll just go and say: sourceWHAT? can you eat it?

So the simple idea was that it's more known and accessable to the 'common' user then sourceforge... maybe im wrong, but it's just the impression i have.

We can change everything that's currently there, also the license type.

I was also wondering what should be taken as a starting point...

- latest stable release from here
    - latest modWASTE release
    - the 1.6 build 421 beta (used by prety much everybody on the nullnet im currently in)

(btw deman2, you're in a public nullnet too? if so, maybe good idea to merge the two)

• Deman

Deman - 2008-02-29

@street011

I would say none of those... Write from scratch will be faster (compatibility out from the window from the start) The new WASTE should be fully unicode, 'thin cliented' (the platform dependent stuff), one client should handle multiple networks, multisource download (based on filename+hash), 64 bit ready... These are near impossible with legacy code. And than some improvement on the cryptograpy is unavoidable. Maybe designing and writing the 'API' for the next WASTE is a good start. We have plenty to learn from...

I'm not on any.

By the way... Here is my latest hack:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=215539&package_id=260092&release_id=580631

• Deman

Deman - 2008-02-29

I downloaded the WASTE-1.6.421.-jrack-special source and diff-ed it with mine, don't really like the changes. First I thought about merging into mine but now I'm not convinced.
    Well nullnets are at fault I guess, WASTE was not designed to address trust issues in the mesh.

Revealing hidden users... now (I think) this was made for unmanned hubs, but can be misused in a nullnet. I guess I will make this an option and let the users decide (like hidden files in a shell) if they want to see them or not.
    Encrypted chat well... I will leave it out sorry it's not to my liking.
    Preferences button... Now that's not really important. An open download folder in the transfers more likely comes next. And a way to tell WASTE what to do when incoming file already exists (overwrite, skip, rename, ask).

Some asked me if I can make the chat messages displayed MSN like. Hate the idea, but can be done simply and quickly, and as long as it's an option...

• kwukduck

kwukduck - 2008-02-29

Nullnets are at fault? what do you mean by that?

As for the encrypted chat, every 'relay' can read messages sent, now the argument is that the mesh is a trusted network, it's not always p2p trust, so i do think it has value to bring it in your version.
    agree on the preferences button

about the gui i heard a few people talking they didn't like all the seperate windows, they asked me if it could be put into one, like mIRC...
    i guess that'd be nice as an option too.

So, what do we do? proceed here? create new SF project? work with the GoogleCode i made?

• Deman

Deman - 2008-03-01

I say let's continue the hacking here. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wasteagain/)
    The google version could host some WASTE clone, unhindered by legacy code... Maybe not even in C++. Something new and untainted. ;)
    If anyone wants to contribute, I can add him as a developer no problem, did not use the CVS yet maybe it's time to start huh?

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)