Menu

Kernel module for Intel 82567LM ("...

Christian
2012-06-25
2013-02-03
  • Christian

Christian - 2012-06-25

Hello,

I'm trying to get WANem running with an Intel-82567LM-type NIC.  The ancient version of Linux, 2.6.24.4, of the equally ancient Knoppix 5.3 on which the current WANem download is based is just slightly too old to include support for this chipset.

I've managed to find a kernel source archive for 2.6.24.4, built this kernel using the configuration extracted from the Knoppix system, and built the v2.0 Intel drivers (downloadable at the Intel site) for this kernel, yielding an "e1000e.ko" module.  Unfortunately, trying to insert this module fails with a symbol conflict concerning "dump_stack", which I have not managed to resolve.

Has anyone by any chance managed to build the "e1000e.ko" module in a fashion compatible with the current WANem distro?  If so, I'd be extremely grateful if they made the module available.

Christian

• Kieron Robertson

Hi,

I have the same problem with the e1000e module - I can't get the "make install" to run as there are no kernel headers. I tried using the RPMbuild method but again, no kernel headers. After two days of banging my head around trying to find a kernel 2.6.24.4 source and getting a build enviroment setup - I concede I can't do it with this distribution as it is without breaking WANem totally.

Is there any plan to release this with a recent kernel so these headache will go away?

• M K Nambiar

M K Nambiar - 2012-07-10

Yes there is -

In fact there is an effort in progress to add some more features with a recent kernel.

For now we will focus on delivering as-is functionality with a newer kernel.

Regards,
    M.K.Nambiar

• Kieron Robertson

Thank you very much - I will look out for the new release!

Regards,

Kieron

• Allan Guerriero

Allan Guerriero - 2012-07-14

I installed WANem on knoppix 6.7.1 with kernel version 3.0.4. It supported all of the newer NICs and other hardware that I installed. VMWare only allowed me to do 10 NICs and the current WANem.iso did not support my hardware. VMware also required an expensive license to support my 32GB of memory and 12 cores.

I booted from the knoppix cd, then did an HD install. then i did an apt-get update, apt-get install apache2, and apt-get install php5.

After this I pulled all of the WANem files from /var/www/WANem and /root and put them into the knoppix installation. Changed all of the ownerships and permissions and everything I have needed to do so far has been working fine… vlans, vlan trunking, bridges, routing, iptables, delay, jitter, loss… All of this with high throughput on all 24 interfaces.

• M K Nambiar

M K Nambiar - 2012-07-16

Hi,

Can you share it?

Once I take a look, I can have this put up for download for the community.

Can add you as a contributor and developer.

If you are willing let me know what other credits you want.

Regards,
    M.K.Nambiar

• Kieron Robertson

Hi,

I have got around this by installing Ubuntu 12.04 x64 Server with the LAMP stack and SSH. I then copied the /root contents and /var/www/WAnem folders to the Ubuntu installation, set permissions and it works! I got the files from a WANem 2.3 hdd installation on a CF card and used WinSCP to copy them.

This is running on an Atom D510 with 2 x Intel 10/100/1000 PCIe cards in bridge mode, 2GB RAM and 8GB CF Card.

Just what I needed for a portable appliance!

PS: Just for kicks, I am trying to get it working on a Slitaz 4.0 installation for an extremely small and lightweight solution.

• Allan Guerriero

Allan Guerriero - 2012-07-20

I am still working on a WANem mainpage link which allows for adding vlans and bridges. This alleviates the need to manually modify the /etc/network/interfaces

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-04

Hey Guerriero did you ever achieve this install? and can you share please

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2013-01-03

Hi Guerriero33t, can you please share the steps you did after installing knoppix to HD and getting the apache and php5?

"After this I pulled all of the WANem files from /var/www/WANem and /root and put them into the knoppix installation. Changed all of the ownerships and permissions and everything I have needed to do so far has been working fine…"

I also having problems with my NIC card, right now I'm running WANem in a Visrtual Machine and it's working fine, but I would like to have it installed in a stand alone PC for 24/7 use.

I want to try to customize Knoppix v7.0.4 with WANem 2.3 following this guide:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/76578-changing-knoppix-to-fit-your-needs

Or at least getit installed permantly in a HD.

M.K.Nambiar maybe you can share with us what changes were made to the knoppix v5.3 to use WANem so we can replicate then with a latter version of Knoppix. Any estimation when a new release with a newer kernel will be ready?