Inject Latency Where ICMP is NOT Allowed

2009-03-12
2013-02-03
  • John Benson

John Benson - 2009-03-12

Is there a way to use WANem to inject latency between a client (browser) and server (web server) where ICMP is blocked by the firewall?  I know what the latency is, but WANem is not able to characterize it due to ICMP being blocked.

• M K Nambiar

M K Nambiar - 2009-03-12

Characterization depends on ICMP - So if ICMP is blocked - characterization won't work.

But emulation will still work - it will work on all ip packets passing thru WANem.

Regards,
      M.K.Nambiar

• John Benson

John Benson - 2009-03-12

That is good to know.  The problem arises now when I use the Advanced Mode to build the rule set.  When I try to apply it, I get the "Fatal error. Maximum execution time of 30 seconds in /UNIONFS/var/www/WANem/currval-advanced.inc.php on line 96" message.  Could this be related to ICMP being blocked?  I don't believe I got this message when there was no firewall blocking ICMP between the client and server.

I saw in another POST someone else got the same "Fatal error....." message and the response was to revert to an earlier release that did not have this bug.  Where can those earlier releases be found?  It was not in any obvious location on sourceforge.

• John Benson

John Benson - 2009-03-12

It seems to be successfully applying the latency using the Advanced mode in spite of the "Fatal error...." message and in spite of ICMP being blocked.  I also successfully tried injecting the same latency using the "Basic" mode.  I don't get the "Fatal error...." message when using Basic mode.

• M K Nambiar

M K Nambiar - 2009-03-13

Good.

As of now in the latest version the Advanced mode will also work if you do not give any IP adress or port filter. You will not be able to add multiple rulesets.

If you need to do that you will have to use version 1.2 for now.

To download version 1.2
      1> visit http://wanem.sourceforge.net
      2> Click on "Project Home" link in the left pane. You will get a new window.
      3> Under "Download" select "Search"
      4> Enter 1.2 in the box "with any of the words"
      5> Click on Search
      6> This will give you the link to WANem v1.2

Regards,
      M.K.Nambiar